Total Suspension Build

Cleaned up really nice Will...Definitely looks different with the race wheels. Killer Stance...John

Thanks for the compliments guys.

It ain't as easy as some think to get this look and have it be functional. There is still some testing to do and the final test will be to see how well it works on the track.

Ronnie - thanks again for working with me on the powdercoating - too bad it's on the underside!

John - you were instrumental in getting this look - thanks again for your input. I'm sure this won't be the last project you and I collaborate on.:biggrin:

UPDATE -

Got to drive the car around some today. So far everything seems to be working well - no rubbing, squeaking, creaking and nothing fell off. :biggrin:

The ride is much better than the previous setup which consisted of only the Eibach springs. It used to ride like a bit like a pogo stick but now it is closer to stock with a nice firm planted feel. I haven't even played with the shock settings yet. Steering is much more responsive and to no surprise the brakes are a HUGE improvement over the stockers. The gearset is quiet and the Wavetrac differential is seamless - can't tell any difference between it and the stocker under normal driving. Rear suspension travel is limited but so far seems to be OK as it hasn't bottomed out. The low points on the car are the mufflers and the intercooler scoop on the SLIC at about 4" but I did manage to get in and out of a pretty sloped Sonic parking lot without leaving any parts behind.

I did have a couple of small issues to resolve. One was the driveshaft would rub the safety loop under hard braking. I took it off and will have to chamfer the edges with a grinder to clear. Another was the exhaust system rattling due to rubbing against one of the spring perches and while I was fixing that I noticed one of the axle seals is leaking. If these are the only issues then I've got it made considering every suspension and brake component has been replaced/modified.

We hope to be able to get this car back to the track in the next couple of weeks for some unfinished business with the new engine and turbo combination - see http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tu...0-pte-6765-billet-wheel-turbo-has-landed.html This will be the true test of the suspension but I feel like everything is going to work just fine. Now I can launch this thing off the transbrake with no worries.:eek: Stay tuned.........

John and Will, as far as I'm concerned you both have set the standard around here for how a GN should sit and function. Thanks for sharing your builds with us. Now I have 2 screensavers for my computer. I'm afraid my kids college fund is gonna take a hit though :biggrin: I'll tell my wife its both your fault.....

Wow!

When you finish, will you please let us know your suspension #'s.

Great Presentation,
Gary:biggrin:

Really looks awesome!!! Good planning and execution. Let me know when and where you will be testing this monster. Would love to see it in action.

Good job, Will!!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Finishing up a few odds and ends before our next track outing which should be next weekend. Adding CO2 system for reference pressure to the AMS boost controller plus a few other tricks. I plan to crank the boost up to 25# plus and leave off the transbrake so we'll see how all this new stuff works. This thing just keeps getting more and more like a race car - I just can't seem to help myself! :eek: :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Will that is the ultimate street car u got there. looking foward to seeing how that things performs at the track now with the new setup. ur setup up very similar to mine. cant wait to see the results. btw, those new wheels look great.

Nice build Will... My next step is suspension also I'm doing a full over haul just like you've done. Mines is a street car too;)

Will, how much clearance do you have from sidewall to the frame rail???

Not much but just enough. I know that's not the answer you were looking for - I'll have to measure it when I have a chance. It's pretty tight around the area in the rear of the wheel well where the frame starts turning back out - especially on the passenger side. I've noticed evidence of what may be some very slight rubbing in that area during turning more than likely. None of these cars have the rear end exactly centered in the chassis - 80's GM quality control at its best. I could use a small spacer and roll the lips more but the way it is now you can hardly tell they've even been rolled so my plan is to leave it alone unless it becomes an issue.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Finishing up a few odds and ends before our next track outing which should be next weekend. Adding CO2 system for reference pressure to the AMS boost controller plus a few other tricks. I plan to crank the boost up to 25# plus and leave off the transbrake so we'll see how all this new stuff works. This thing just keeps getting more and more like a race car - I just can't seem to help myself! :eek: :rolleyes: :biggrin:

CO2 System, AMS Boost Controller, Street Car...:eek:

Your definitely over the top Will, I like it...:D

CO2 System, AMS Boost Controller, Street Car...:eek:

Your definitely over the top Will, I like it...:D

What? It's perfectly streetable - uses a BIG CO2 bottle - and I have spares!

Just tryin' to stay up with you John. :biggrin:

I did get them from Mark @ SC&C. The Varishocks have a whole lot more adjustabilty and are allegedly much better than the QA1s - not that the QA1s are bad or anything. The Strange shocks are supposedly pretty good as well from what I've heard. QUOTE]

Will, how do the rear shocks attach at the top???? Doesn't look like they bolt on like stock? Mods needed?

Part number for the F-body springs?

UPDATE..........

Finally had a break in the rain and made it to the track. Suspension responded well - launched arrow straight and ran on a string down track. Still experimenting with shock setttings but managed a 1.61 60ft time with a soft launch off the footbrake and a 10.88 @ 125 on only 22psi. Suspension has excellent weight transfer with the front shocks loosened up. We're going back in the nextweek or so to fine tune the shocks a little more and see what a transbrake launch and 28-30psi will do. :eek: