Torrington Cam Bearings

9SECVSIX

Does anyone have the part# for the torrington cam bearings and what dia the cam journals and block cam bore need to be? I thougth I saw a thread on this earlier in the winter but i couldn't pull it up. Ron do you stock these bearings?

thanks
9secvsix.:confused:

Ohh Boy,

The bearings that I am running are Torrington Part#HJ283716. This is the heavy duty series and they are very nice.

O.D on the bearing is 2.3125 I have a .002 press fit to the block
-the cam bore on the block will have to be line bored a little tricky installing the bearings

I.D on the bearing is 1.750.---standard cam main is 1.785

Make sure when you order your cam you advise them you need the main journals at 1.7485. I turned the journals myself, but you need to tell the cam builder or the lobes will be to tall. Been there done that.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Rob

Thanks Rob. The block needs a cam bore align because of a welding job:mad: so I though I might just as well use the torringtons, the cam will be aStg1 with only a .350" lobe so i might be in luck there, I thought i might be able to turn the journals myself also, did you do them in the lathe:confused: what speed:confused:

Thanks
Brent

Roller cam bearings

Just looked at three blocks and all three have a different size bearing in them. Anyway this is what I have in the block I ran last year. It is a Torrington HK4520. My scribbled notes show it as a OD of 52mm with a 45mm ID. It uses a shaft size of 1.7716. Because I had a cam I already wanted to use I just hauled it up to the crank grinder and had him do the journals. I just pulled the engine apart after a season of hard 8000+ Saturday nights and everything looks fine. I get mine from a little one man machine shop up the street. If you have a problem I do keep them in stock. Ron

Thanks Ron, I guess getting the bearings shouldn't be a problem, I was wondering if the crank grinder might be able to turn the journals, I guess you answered that question.
Thanks
Brent

You can believe Rob or Ron OR you can ask Jason D. and know for sure.

Yea, bad joke. Just got home and trying to find a reason not to start cleaning out the garage. Catch you later bud.

I was just checking out the equipment necessary to do this at a local race shop. You really need a specialized boring bar setup with a support that fits down in the cam valley between bearing bores. The bore spec is something like less than .0005 runout from one end of the block to the other. Then on blocks with oiling grooves, these have to be re-machined as the oversize bore takes the groove out. This requires another specialized tool ($$). All in all, it's easy to see why the shops get a lot to do this.

My engine builder tells me that can't find a supplier for a over size stock type cam bearing that would allow align boring of the cam bores, if this is the case then the torrington route may be the only alternative:confused: The grove in the forward cam journal should eliminate the need for the grove in the block:confused:

cam

I paid 315. to have mine done. Does anyone see a problem with running them on the street with very low miles. I live like 7 miles from work and thats just about all the motor will see except for track time of course.
jay

Ok, I figured it out all by my stupid self that the grove in the cam isn't going to get the oil to the other lifter galley with the torringtons. Do the torringtons come with a oil hole in the bearing shell? if not are you guys drilling any in them?
I'll ask again if anyone know if there's a over size cam bearing(stock style) that would allow the cam bearing bores to be honed?
Thanks.

Originally posted by 9SECVSIX
Ok, I figured it out all by my stupid self that the grove in the cam isn't going to get the oil to the other lifter galley with the torringtons. Do the torringtons come with a oil hole in the bearing shell? if not are you guys drilling any in them?
I'll ask again if anyone know if there's a over size cam bearing(stock style) that would allow the cam bearing bores to be honed?
Thanks.

Clevite SH1448 cam bearings (stock 109 block bearings F/R)
are .020" larger OD than the Clevite SH1360 cam bearings.
Same ID and width. HTH.

Thanks HYPER-6 The block is a old Stg11 off center and the cam bearings that I removed were the #1360's so it looks like we can bore it out for the 109 cam bearings, I know there was a difference but didn't know how much or in what direction.
Thanks.

Looks like you've decided to try to stick with a stock-style bearing..if you do go with the rollers, you just have to have the bearing bore re-grooved as I mentioned above. Good luck!