Torque Wrenches

BASS

Ok, Ive been looking around to buy a torque wrench and was wondering which is a good one to buy?

Ive heard good reviews about the Husky brand ones that Home Depot sells...I was going to go with a Craftsman, but have heard some bad stories about them recently..Other than a Snap-On one that costs an arm and a leg, anyone have experiences with other brands?:confused:

My Sears Craftsman has always been faithful to me...

trying to get sears to calibrate on the other hand... is a pain in the ass.

A.j.

do what I did. buy a GOOD used one on ebay then if there is ANY doubts that it is not right, have "strap-on" or mac calibrate it.

I talked to the our calibration guy when he comes in to do our torque wrenches. Ours are calibrated every six months. He told me stick with Craftsman unless you are using them everyday. Unless you have a bunch of money you really don't need. :D He's checked my 20+ year old Craftsman Wrench numerous times and it's always been in tolerance. But I also take good care of it. I always back it down to the lowest setting and don't use it for a breaker bar!!! :D

Well it really depends.

I have a craftsman that I have had ro 2 decades and other than minor calibrations over the last few years it has been very good to me.

I also have snap on ones that are very nice. They also are tested once a year or so just to make sure thay are ok. They stay in the house, average temperature, set to 0 after every use and so on.

The craftsmen have been good to me over the years. I stepped into some snap ons as I am doing more work on customers and felt better with a snap on being a little more acurate repeatedly.

A good torque wrench will last you for years. Do not let price sway you on the purchase of it.

Hope this helps.

I use mine everyday and I have three mac torque wrenches . I love them and they are cheaper than snap on but it is kind of unpracticle to spend the extra money for home use. But I have heard some good things about gearwrenches new torque wrench. dont know its price but it should be comparable to a craftsman.

A good torque wrench will last you for years. Do not let price sway you on the purchase of it.

Very wise words.

I'm a professional tech, so when it comes to tools, there is cheap, and then there is quality. I've had one of my Snap-on torque wrenches for close to twenty years, and have only had to send it in to be calibrated once. It gets checked every 3-4 months, and is always dead-nuts accurate. I don't understand why people would spend thousands of $$ on parts and machine work and put their engine together with a $20 torque wrench, and dollar store wrenches.

At the minimum, buy Craftsman. I think the stuff from GearWrench is better quality. If you can get a TQ wrench from them, go that route. Just make sure that the adjustments are precise enough that you can set it within 1 foot-pound. Some of the wrenches out there wont have the kind of precision that you'll need.

Very wise words.

I'm a professional tech, so when it comes to tools, there is cheap, and then there is quality. I've had one of my Snap-on torque wrenches for close to twenty years, and have only had to send it in to be calibrated once. It gets checked every 3-4 months, and is always dead-nuts accurate. I don't understand why people would spend thousands of $$ on parts and machine work and put their engine together with a $20 torque wrench, and dollar store wrenches.

At the minimum, buy Craftsman. I think the stuff from GearWrench is better quality. If you can get a TQ wrench from them, go that route. Just make sure that the adjustments are precise enough that you can set it within 1 foot-pound. Some of the wrenches out there wont have the kind of precision that you'll need.

I agree totally. Get a quality tool and it will last if you take care of it. Just remember to turn the setting down to minimum when you put it away. Otherwise the springs inside will get "set" and ruin the readings.

i like the old beam style myself, but sometimes it is hard to read if you're in a tight spot. but no calibration problems ever. by craftmen and 30 years old.

One brand you do want to stay away from is Armstrong. Our company found a good deal on some. Probably 50% fell out in the first year and the rest the following. They were absolute junk!!!!