Torque Strap

mikebart101

I just bought a torque strap for my car and I am having a hell of a time trying to install this thing. The evap canister seems to be directly in the way of where I need to run the strap. There is another hole in the frame that I could use but the angle makes the strap hit the AC pulley. Any recomendations?

mikebart101 said:
I just bought a torque strap for my car and I am having a hell of a time trying to install this thing. The evap canister seems to be directly in the way of where I need to run the strap. There is another hole in the frame that I could use but the angle makes the strap hit the AC pulley. Any recomendations?
Get the poly mounts and throw that strap in the trash ;) :D

mikebart101 said:

The strap is very easy to install. I think you are getting it on the wrong hole on the frame.

Thanks! Certainly not for the budget minded but they look like the best way to go.

Bill

Look for the hole on the outside of the frame towards the front that is angled. You may have to put the frame end in first and then attach it to the eyebolt mounted to the alt.

How are your motor mounts? It isn't a good idea for the strap to be your only attachment on the driver's side.

If ya need a pic for reference let me know, think it took me 10 min. to put mine on, they may have moved your evap cannister. :confused:

Torque straps are a band-aid for bad motor mounts. The motor mounts in our cars are 20 years old and need to be replaced. Two poly mounts are unnecessary for a street-driven car. Two will cause too much vibration and they are two expensive. Toss the strap, and put a poly on the drivers side and an Autozone $12.00 oem replacement on the ps. Torque straps can break things and cause false knock.

It sounds like the evap canister has been moved, say, to accomodate a 14" k&n air filter. That was the deal with my car. I had t ore-relocate the evap canister, very close to its original intended location. Poly mounts are the way to go but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

poly mounts - pros, cons

the poly mounts aren't for evryone. The GN I have currently had the driver's side polyeurethane mount from HRPartsNStuff. Extremely high quality part (all their stuff is), but the poly mounts are so stiff, they transmit a *lot* of engine vibration to the rest of the car (you can really feel it!). I drove the car that way for a few months and decided that was enough. I pulled it off and replaced both mounts with OEM type rubber mounts and a torque strap.

A torque stap isn't as strong, true, but it was a night and day difference in how much smoother the car *felt* while sitting in it. IMO, it depends on what you're doing with the car. My car sees more street time than track time so I like it more comfortable. If I was making more power and took it to the track more often, I'd probably go with the poly mounts.

As for installing the strap, it is easy - just re-read the instructions and take a good look at the holes in the frame. I'd snap a picture for you, but the battery in my digital camera just went belly up yesterday.

HTH
Rob

The evap was definately in the way because of the K&N filter, so i removed it and the strap fits now. I already have new motor mounts in the car. The strap is just for the "worst possible scenario" if by some chance I break a mount.

Installed the DS poly mount with the new balanced motor. No issues with vibration. I have read too many posts about broken brackets with the strap. Of course, my HA does not put that much HP to the ground to break anything. :tongue: