Torque on 87 gn header colector

viokrome

looking for the torque for a t/a performance stock style driver side header collector to
crossover pipe. torqued it to 200 in/lbs but the threads pulled through :-( brand new header
it sux, I guess I am going with longer bolts with nuts and lock washers now.

thanks in advance

Thanks I will take a look, it just sucks that the new bolts pulled the threads out at just 16lbs of torque. I had this stock style T\A header on order for a month before I recieved it from kirbans, my stock header was cracked between #3 and #5 so Iwas going aftermarket to hopeful be done with it.

looking for the torque for a t/a performance stock style driver side header collector to
crossover pipe. torqued it to 200 in/lbs but the threads pulled through :-( brand new header
it sux, I guess I am going with longer bolts with nuts and lock washers now.

thanks in advance

A TA header or EBAY "STYLE" TA header ??

Just to follow up, called T/A and they were no help I am stuck with the striped out collector. They did tell me they recomended torque on the header to the head was 20 ft/lbs but my book says 37 ft/lbs. No torque specs for the crossover pipe to the header, any ideas how it to get to stop leaking? I did use longer bolts and put lock washer and nuts on the back side of the flange to solve the striped flange problem.

The headers should only be 20-30 lbs. I just use a wrench and hand tighten until its snug Don't kill it. I've had stock headers and have lost the tread. Take the header off If you have a Tap kit you can re tap it to 3/8 and just use diffent bolts. Or just get a nut and tighten it up that way using a washer with it. i would try re tapping the treads.

You can just chisel the old nut off and use a locking flange nut in it's place (aka Crimp nut) That is if you don't have access to a MIG/TIG welder. Maybe time to recalibrate your torque wrench, too.

OK, thanks to everyone for the advise! Got a new plan>>> found a set of low mile oem headers going to install them with my original crosspipe and hopefuly contiue on my journey to cure my rough cold idle and high blm's. Going to sell the brand new drivers side T/A header after I tap out the fcollector flange and get some new hardware for it......