Torque converter question

fly89gta

I see D5 and D6 TC's for sale, are they aftermarket or stock TC's?

can someone give me info like durabillity, stall speed etc.

Also will they bolt up to a 700-r4?(i assume they would)

Thanks guys!! :)

a D5 is a stock convertor as found on 86-87 turbo Regals and 89 TTA's. It will also be found in the 85-88 Monte Carlo SS models.
The D6 is most likely found in cars that have the Olds 307 engine with the TH2004R. The stall speed on a turbo car will approx 2600 rpms depending on the mods, etc
On a Monte SS, it will be dramatically less because they lack the torque. A D5 is a great, durable convertor for mild mods and can be used with some of the smaller after market turbos.

ok how would it fare with a stock turbo and a 214/210 roller cam? would i need a looser converter?

i'm planning on like high 11's would it hold up?

Originally posted by fly89gta
Also will they bolt up to a 700-r4?(i assume they would)

Only if the 700-R4 in question is an '82-'84 1/2. All 700-R4s (& 4L60E) subsequent to that received a larger diameter input shaft with a different spline count than the 200.

Re: Re: Torque converter question

Originally posted by MeanBuicks

Only if the 700-R4 in question is an '82-'84 1/2. All 700-R4s (& 4L60E) subsequent to that received a larger diameter input shaft with a different spline count than the 200.

wow i didn't know that, my tranny is an 89, 30 spline i think? i forget, but oh well, figured i'd see if it would work....

Thanks guys! :)

I hate to say it, but you are either gonna have to spend the money adding the adapter plates and a custom torque convertor to the TH700 or buy a good torque arm and be able to use a TH2004r with the appropriate convertor. The latter of the 2 would be a more appropriate solution as the stock torque arms break tranny mounts on non TTA F bodies plus the TH2004r has a better gear spread and WOT 4th gear upshifts.

i'm not sure what i'm gonna do, i mean if i went with tthe 200 i'd have to get a new DS,new torque arm and new crossmember, kind of a PITA if u ask me, still not sure yet..

BTW where in south jersey do u live? i grew up in south jersey

You could use a driveshaft from an 82-up F body with either a T-5 or a TH200 as most of the 82-83 V8 models had. Its the same length as the TH2004r and uses the correct yoke. You can grab driveshafts like this from some of the U Pull It yards for like $10-$15.Its not as difficult as you think. Just the torque arm mounting would be your only obstacle and you can get one from Spohn with a crossmember.

Originally posted by GNVAIR
You could use a driveshaft from an 82-up F body with either a T-5 or a TH200 as most of the 82-83 V8 models had. Its the same length as the TH2004r and uses the correct yoke

ok i'm lost, i thought the DS from a T5 and a 700r4 was the same length, at least thats what people tell me that have done a 700r4-T5 swap, can u clear this up for me???

Ok, if I remember correctly from my tranny swapping days.....
the following transmissions will use the same lenth drive shaft when used in the same type of vehicle
TH200
TH350(short tail)
TH2004r
Muncie 4 speeds
Borg Warner Super T 10
Saginaw 3 and 4 speeds
Borg Warner T 5 (should bolt right in place of a Saginaw 3/4speed)
They will all share the same output yoke with the exception of some of the T 10's and later Muncies which utilized the 32 spline TH400 style yoke.
Basically, the easiest driveshaft to find of the ones I mentioned would be the TH200, even though I have seen some 82-85's in the yards with the 4cylinder and 6cylinder engines and the 4 speed Saginaw. That drive shaft would also fit.

so no go iwth the 700r4 DS :( ah well,if i decide to go with the 200 i know 2 people that have spare TTA DS's :)

Originally posted by GNVAIR
Ok, if I remember correctly from my tranny swapping days.....
the following transmissions will use the same lenth drive shaft when used in the same type of vehicle

Good list! Also, for the benefit of anyone looking to put a 200-4R in a dinosaur :p, it's the same length as the Super Turbine 300 and the venerable Powerglide as well.

Dont sweat it man. Its not a biggie installing a TH2004r into your car. All of the 82 F bodies had the TH200 or Saginaw/BW T10 4speeds and all 3 use the same driveshaft length and yoke. You should be able to find one of them in a yard without too many problems. The trans crossmember must be moved back. You can probably fabricate your own crossmember as it is just a piece of flat steel that bridges the frame rails on the f bodies.