Torque Converter question

HIPSI

Other than suffering slow spoolup with larger turbos, are there any disadvantages to running the stock D5 converter? I'm looking for a torque converter that will work well with a '109' w/ported irons, small cam, and LT-70 turbo. My friend has a stock motor with a TE-45a and he runs a 3,500 stall PTS 9/11. His converter lets him spoolup fast, but once the boost comes in it blows through the converter. He has to lock it up to get any kind of decent mph out of it. I was leaning towards a PI Vigilante using their tighter '4' pump. I've noticed that most people here use either the '0' or '6' pump. I have used both of those configurations on a N/A LS1 and I would think that they would be too loose once the torque ramps up under boost.

Any advice?

In my experience with many 70 mm turbos,4 to be exact and probably as many converters, the D5 is not going to cut it even if you get a junk 3200 orange stripe, it still not going to be acceptable.

The 9-11 your friend has appears to have similar issues ive heard of , its way to loose. I had an O pump for my 1st 70mm and it was doggy. I later went to a 911 which i also had to get tightened up but spooled up good.

If your friend is still running factory 3:42 rear gears with that 3500 stall, that is probably his main issue with "blowing thru" the converter. Anything over a 3,000 to 3,200 stall is way too loose with his set up. If he ran a 3,000 stall he would love his car a lot more overall.

Mark

2quiktocare said:
If your friend is still running factory 3:42 rear gears with that 3500 stall, that is probably his main issue with "blowing thru" the converter. Anything over a 3,000 to 3,200 stall is way too loose with his set up. If he ran a 3,000 stall he would love his car a lot more overall.

Mark

I'm not trying to say anything negative about your business or products, but the converter that he received was per Bruce's recommendation. His last name, Hammons, is stamped into the turbine cover. It seems to work OK for him as long as he locks it midway through 2nd gear.

If you can look on the converter it will also have the date purchased which will allow me to see what the set up on the converter actually is. It will also let us know how old it is. Buying a used converter is a crap shoot at best and you can end up with something that is not functioning properly for many reasons.

Just a question, did you guys over at PTS ever sell a trans and conv. to a guy named Cale in Hawaii? I bought his car and was wondering what was in it....
Thanks,
Joe

2quiktocare said:
If you can look on the converter it will also have the date purchased which will allow me to see what the set up on the converter actually is. It will also let us know how old it is. Buying a used converter is a crap shoot at best and you can end up with something that is not functioning properly for many reasons.

Who said anything about buying a used converter? :confused: I was just stating that I knew someone who ran one of your 9/11's.

I'm looking for a lockup t/c that can spool a 70 turbo, yet not slip too much on the big end. Your recommendation?

Sorry, I assumed by your wording it was something that came from someone else, my bad. We would not sell a 9X11 to someone with a TE45a converter stalled at 3,500 stall is why I questioned it. At that level I would have suggested a 3,000 stall, maybe 3,200 at the most. The stall you end up with would be mainly dependant on how much street vs strip use. You would need to maybe draw a line in the middle to make the most of street use and have a slight lag on the strip on bottom end. I would suggest around a 3,200 stall if you street the car. There are many guys running the 9X11 billet unit in low 10 and high 9's cars and love both the street and track performance. Just my opinion though.

Hboost, the name doesn't ring a bell but the quickest way to know is to see if the case is painted with light grey cast blast or look on top of the trans near the tail shaft and see if it is stamped with our name and the build date on it. You can do that with a mirror and a flashlight.

Mark