Tore down my motor, pics included

Bigjsn250

ZR1, 87GN and 86 T Type, life is good
I have no idea who built the motor. I was running near 30lbs of boost and the Alky system turned off on me. It was a very old system and Julio got me all fixed up. I started hearing a little knock but just on start up. Ran great, no other problems. Figured I better check it and be safe. What I saw from the bearings did not surprise me, but what I saw in two crank journal oil holes did. (see pics)
The block that was in the car still has the cross hatch visible and looks to be in good shape.
I have three blocks (one stock-std, one standard and girdled, one .030 over), three cranks (2 stock, one forged stroker), three sets of rods and pistons (stock, stock rods with JE pistons and k1's with Weisco pistons for the stroker set up). I also have a set of Champion heads new in the box from Bison.
I have not bought the Cam or anything that goes with it, but I will be going with a billet roller set up.

Attachments

• Buick bottom end pics.zip
    8.3 MB · Views: 741
That DAMNED RTV!:mad:

What is with some of these guys!? I mean, really? There's nothing like trashing a $10,000 motor over a stupid $3 tube of RTV!

Is it just me or does that main cap look like its been jack hammered with detonation? If so it probly is not round and true any more.

Is it just me or does that main cap look like its been jack hammered with detonation? If so it probly is not round and true any more.

Good chance. I have two new billet caps for this block (2&3) so it will be line bored. With that said I'm leaning towards using the block I have that's been girdled. Both blocks are getting cleaned and checked next week then I can make a decision.

maybe someone used rtv on the gasket for the oil pickup. That would explain the rtv in the crank.

So I figured I would update this thread. The girdled block that I got from a board member checked out okay and cleaned up to .020 over.

So here's the build:

girdled 109 .020 over, David's forged stroker kit, Calico main and rod bearings, Durabond cam bearings, 212/206 billet roller cam kit from Weber, Weber's spot faced front cover, ARP2000 head studs, morel push rods, Champion irons from Bison. Everything else is in my sig.
I smoothed and deburred the block myself and I'm in the process of porting the intake and stock headers to match the heads.
My 6266 just came back from Bison and my Trans just got back from TCI, both just freshen up's.

I found a kink in the fuel feed line, so I'll probably do a -8 feed and -6 return, I already have just about every fitting just need the line.

I'm also going to upgrade the drive shaft before I put the motor back in.

Still need a cage and carpet.

Just another update.

So I started cleaning the engine compartment and one thing lead to another and now the fenders and radiator support are off lol. I also did energy suspension body bushings last weekend. I was real lucky all my bolts came out easy and the job took just a couple of hours.

I found two rust spots. One right behind the drivers seat in the middle of the floor board, already fixed that one. The other is right under the brake pedal, about where your heel rests on the floor board.

Now I am seriously considering pulling the body off the frame, cleaning and painting the frame, suspension etc.

I still have stainless braided -8 feed and -6 return lines to run, I actually had every fitting except to the rail already from my Cobra, so it was cheaper than I thought it was going to be.

I just bought fiberglass bumpers from Kirbans and I am going to get them painted to match the car. I am considering a fiberglass hood, but the damn shipping is making it a lot more than I thought it was going to be.

Just about all my projects end up like this lol, I'm sure I'm the only one this ever happens too ;)

Just about all my projects end up like this lol, I'm sure I'm the only one this ever happens too ;)

Sure your the only one. When we all bought our Turbo Regals, all we wanted was a simple 12 second set-up. And that's the way they all remain today.:rolleyes:

Sure your the only one. When we all bought our Turbo Regals, all we wanted was a simple 12 second set-up. And that's the way they all remain today.:rolleyes:

Haha right! I remember way back posting on a Mustang board about how when I bought my Cobra I was just doing an Intake and Exhaust....$30,000 later....