Top End Speed On The Street

y-hate

Gone In Sixty
I know this is a dangerous topic but just wondering...i know every street GN had tried it once how fast did the GN go before shut down? I will start off by saying 147MPH THIS MORNING with plenty left car was jerking alittle,so i got out of it.......anyone else oops....i fogot to mention that i was the only one on the road 4am

I went 123 one time while laying a whoopin down on a Twin Turbo Supra. I only went that fast one time and prolly won't do it agian.

i went 125 mph when my car was bone stock back in the day...yes i did hit the fuel cutoff

with the new combo the fastest i got it up to was 135 racing a crotch rocket and i let out because i was starting to freak out...car was starting to feel light...i had to stop in a matter of 1 mile and i had my brakes floored and the car still had a hard time stopping...needless to say the brakes were smoking by the time i was stopped...talk about SCARY trying to stop a GN at 135 mph!

i had ALOT more left in it though...was only at 4600 rpms and 25 psi of bost in OD

you have to be insane to go over 140 in a GN...INSANE i tell ya!

150 and change tuning the GN with Job Spetter Jr. in New York State. Never for any real length of time. Just in short bursts.

Well, I'm not really sure, I always peg the speedometer in second gear :D

But if I had to guess, I would say in the 130-145 area a couple times. I have to agree with doned on this one, they do become very unstable. I have full front/rear bracing on the car(minus the front sway bar) and it was getting very touchy.

-DC:cool:

as stated mine was 147mph 19psi alky, loved it........buy my fastest was in my Corvette 155mph......Next will be the Harley Davidson truck..some claims 170 with a chip:D ............I would not recommed this kind of speed to no one, i only do it when i by my self! only

Factory chip is set at 125.
I've seen pictures of a GN going airborne at 170.
I've had mine to 125.
My Pontiac feels solid at 160.

Racing a Cobra on the highway once. I had it stretched out pretty good and as I was slowing for a while I scrolled the Scanmaster to MPH and it was reading 128 so I was definetly over 130. Car felt good but it was straight and no crosswinds, etc.

Originally posted by y-hate
as stated mine was 147mph 19psi alky, loved it........buy my fastest was in my Corvette 155mph......Next will be the Harley Davidson truck..some claims 170 with a chip:D ............I would not recommed this kind of speed to no one, i only do it when i by my self! only

It will take more than a chip to hit 170 in an HD truck. A lightning needs a lot of work to run over 160. Stan Martin who open road races his lightning has melted his down more than a few times and he is running way less than 170.

While testing my wagon just after dropping the motor/tranny in, I had it up to 110-115, as shown on Tlink. This was on my own d-i-y front wheel alignment, no front swaybar and no front spoiler installed yet. Also, it was on a two-lane desert road with pretty bad pavement and no shoulder. Anyway, the car was rock solid. I think the Global West suspension pieces, Bilsteins and new springs helped. Now that the car is put together, I think it will be no problem to run at 130++ for long periods without fear. With the right suspension, tires, alignment and maybe some minor aerodynamic tweaks, I see no reason why a G body can't be happy at autobahn speeds. :cool:

I've had mine up to 143 and it felt fine. I've got all new bushing and mounts. Trunk brace and front frame braces.

120. Was cruising a highway in New York alongside a crotch rocket. I had to ask him how fast we were going after we stopped. That was with the stock chip. I guess I never hit 125 cause I did not feel a fuel cut. The VSS was messed up at the time though.

Got going 130 in my friends SR20DET powered Nissan 240sx racing an Integra (actually kicking his arse) on the way to Firebird Raceway. I have it on video.

So far we've had the pontiac 2+2 up to 167 mph on radar. Other than the tremendous wind noise, no handling problems.

Wind becomes a big factor at high speeds. Into the wind, it wouldn't go faster than 163, floored for 3 miles (and it sounded like we were doing 190). With the wind at our back, it easily broke 167 With 1.5 miles left in the 3 mile straight (and it sounded inside like the car like we were going 150 mph). We weren't supposed to exceed 165 so I got out early but I'm pretty sure it would have gone at least 175.

On a TR body I would tape off the top half of the grille and keep the front end as low as possible (and use a front mount with a large airdam in front, because the stock location intercooler promotes front end lift)

155mph behind a buddy's ZX-11.The back glass started to vibrate terribly.It was kinda scary,everything was going by so fast it was all one color.Let out of it due to vibraton of glass.I just wanted to see what the Firestone Firehawk SZ-50's would do.They are Z rated to 169mph.:D :D :D

Originally posted by UNGN
It will take more than a chip to hit 170 in an HD truck. A lightning needs a lot of work to run over 160. Stan Martin who open road races his lightning has melted his down more than a few times and he is running way less than 170. [/QUOTE

It would be nice to get 170mph from a stock truck, but getting the chip anyway :p nice to have a little extra ponies for those pesky GN`s:D