Tool for cutting stainless braid line clean

Intercooler

While I have the trans out I want to put quick connects in to replace the barbed fittings. I did okay cutting the stainless braided rubber tubing last time but know someone has to make a tool that cuts through cleanly. Who carries it?

I wonder if those hand held, plier type, pruners would work? They go through alum. cans like butter. Also I believe if you wrap the area to be cut with tape the fray is cut way down.

MR HACK ;)...........INVENTER OF THE HACK-SAW. :p

just wrap some tape around where you want to cut it. Makes it cut clean.

we just use alot of tape around the line and then use a hack saw with a diamond tip blade

works but watch ur hands it will cut the S!HT out of your hands

titely wrap the hose with tape!..were your gunna cut it!....get a thin (.030) METAL cut off wheel and put it on a die drinder or bench grinder...you will have to clean out hose...but it will not fray the steel braid and will cut it nice& cleanly!....jus my O2 tho later joe :cool:

Theres a set of cutters that look like bolt cutters made for this. No need to tape the line or anything else just mark it and cut it. Probably alot of money though.

The hacksaw idea would be nice but no way in hell am I going to take the lines out now. Getting the hose on the fittings coming out of the trans-cooler was a pain because of where I mounted it. It has to be easy enough I can do it under the car where it goes on the trans fittings. I like the Dremel idea with a cut-off wheel. Metal? What about a composite wheel? Bolt cutters sound good too.

How about one of those pliers-type general purpose cutters with a big razor blade in it? They're supposed to cut just about anything. Seems like you could use one to cut the lines already on the car with that, and then use a cutoff wheel in the future on lines before they're in the car.

Tape and a band saw at work is how I do mine.

Don't want to ruin my blade. ;)

Kinda hard to do on the car however.

Tubing cutter might work or a small hacksaw or a coping saw with a handful of blades. :eek:

Originally posted by Fat Nat
Theres a set of cutters that look like bolt cutters made for this. No need to tape the line or anything else just mark it and cut it. Probably alot of money though.

$125 and they are NASTY, everytime I put a hose in the jaw, the thought goes through my mind about how they would take a digit off in a second. Mine appear sharp as a razor, they are for stainless braid only, my friend tried to cut his parachute cable (3rd cut on a brand new tool) and destroyed them.
A cut off wheel works well but makes a mess and fills the hose with crap.
Bill

Actually,
Aeroquip makes a special blade for cutting braided lines. It's a diamond-type metal cutoff blade used in a high RPM Chopsaw... I think theyre around $200 just for the blade, but they sure do make life much easier! I can lookup the part number if anyone needs it, just post here.

Hope this helps.

Gino

Originally posted by GinoRin
Actually,
Aeroquip makes a special blade for cutting braided lines. It's a diamond-type metal cutoff blade used in a high RPM Chopsaw... I think theyre around $200 just for the blade, but they sure do make life much easier! I can lookup the part number if anyone needs it, just post here.

Hope this helps.

Gino
Put me down for five;)