Took the wife's F150 Ecoboost to the track

There isn't much in the world of new full sized trucks that can run with them in stock form. They are very much like another past turbo six cylinder in that respect.:cool:
The ecoboost is a quick truck in stock form, but this is untrue. The 6.2 1500 Silverados run mid 14's stock, 6.2 Escalades and Yukon Denalis run high 14's, The new Duramax 2500 4x4 trucks run 14.8 stock, and I know the new Ram Hemis run decent too. They are all within a stone's throw of each other. The ecoboost just gets all the glory, and on any given night, there are numerous kids racing their Dad's ecoboost trucks thinking they have a race truck. It all comes down to the driver, I have seen ecoboost trucks run 17's with a crappy driver.

I prefer gm as well, but outside of the trucks and corvette, they lost me. I am looking at the flex or explorer for my wife. I dont care for the older f150s. Havent seen a new one up close or had a chance to work on one. I do like the eco boost, but I prefer a 3/4 ton plat form for towing.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I never thought I'd be a Ford fan, but the EB platform won me over. A friend of mine was making over 600 WHP in a Flex with bolt ons. The problem was that he had a secondary fuel system so he could run E85. So far the high pressure mechanical DI pumps can only push so much volume. Until someone comes out with a high volume DI pump these things are limited. Once that happens, watch out! I have nothing but good to say about my truck, but just like a TR they are worthless without a tune. When it was stock, it felt about like my Titan, which was a 14.9 sec truck. After a tune, it is a whole new animal. Some of the slower times you see on these is from folks running them stock and putting 87 octane in them. Yes, they can run 87 on a stock tune, but the fueling is rich and the timing is pulled way back. I have a friend who never got better than 11mpg in his EB F150. He had a lead foot and refused to put 91 in it. I have an aggressive 91 tune, love to get on it hard enough to bark the tires in the shifts from a light, and get 17 around town. The low end torque is amazing too. My Titan could not pull my 7000lb trailer faster than 65 comfortably and would bog up the hills unless I kept RPM's at 4000 or better. My F150 will tow it all day long at 70-75 with cruise control on up any hill and does it whisper quiet at 2000 RPM's. No V8 truck will be able to give you the benefit of tons of torque at low RPM's.

The ecoboost is a quick truck in stock form, but this is untrue. The 6.2 1500 Silverados run mid 14's stock, 6.2 Escalades and Yukon Denalis run high 14's, The new Duramax 2500 4x4 trucks run 14.8 stock, and I know the new Ram Hemis run decent too. They are all within a stone's throw of each other. The ecoboost just gets all the glory, and on any given night, there are numerous kids racing their Dad's ecoboost trucks thinking they have a race truck. It all comes down to the driver, I have seen ecoboost trucks run 17's with a crappy driver.

I guess I should have made a clearer statement. IMO until you change hard parts, parts with part numbers, you are stock...regardless of what the vehicle is. I don't consider a vehicle NON-stock because it has a different air filter on it or uses different oil than it came from the factory with. Some folks strip the STOCK designation from a vehicle for such things. So without changing the IC or turbos or cam or heads like we do to our Buicks, these Ecoboost trucks will out perform all those that you've listed....with good drivers. We all know that a driver can make all the difference so be fair and evaluate the platforms with good drivers. This conversation should remind you of another turbo v6 and how it was/wasn't accepted back in the day. And like that other turbo v6 it responds to modification well. Dollar for dollar you can't modify those trucks you've listed to outperform the Ecoboost platform if you give the same money for mods to the Ecoboost. Still don't remind you of anything yet? As a member of this site you have to be aware of the similarities between the ecoboost and our beloved lc2 when they were introduced. Those Ecoboost trucks aren't just getting all the glory, they are earning it. My truck launches and pulls a 28' heavy assed offshore fishing boat on a triple axle trailer. A half ton truck. Its rated to pull 10k lbs and routinely gets 19.x mpg. It got 14 mpg towing my car back from Bowling Green. OK I'm rambling so I'll shut it down now. I love this truck, if you didn't get that from my ramblings. LOL.

My 2011 Ecoboost ran a 13.5 with a tune and a O/R downpipe. I bought my 2014 in the fall and didn't get a chance to get to the track before it closed. I'm hoping for some better times from my '14. It's nearly 500 lbs lighter and I have some better tunes now.
SAM_0264.JPG

LOL Clay you and I are very similar in how fanatic we are about our F150's.

Nassty, who's tunes do you run? Also what gears do you have?

LOL Clay you and I are very similar in how fanatic we are about our F150's.

Nassty, who's tunes do you run? Also what gears do you have?
I had Livernois tunes on my 2011 and MPT tunes on my 2014. I still have my Livernois tuner and they just came out with a new tune so I'll try it. My 2011 had 3.73's and my 2014 Tremor has 4.10's.

I was thinking it was a Tremor, but didn't realize they made those in 4WD. The tremor will be slower. These trucks love high gears just like our GN's do. Not sure why they put those gears in the Tremor. Those gears would have done real well on a 6.2 though. Mine has 3:55's. I also run MPT. I tried one from Leading Edge and did not like it at all. Way too rich and way too much timing. One of these days I'm going to get mine back to the track and do a real launch on it.

I was thinking it was a Tremor, but didn't realize they made those in 4WD. The tremor will be slower. These trucks love high gears just like our GN's do. Not sure why they put those gears in the Tremor. Those gears would have done real well on a 6.2 though. Mine has 3:55's. I also run MPT. I tried one from Leading Edge and did not like it at all. Way too rich and way too much timing. One of these days I'm going to get mine back to the track and do a real launch on it.
It will probably do pretty good at my local 1/8 mile track. The 1/4 mile track is 3 hrs. away.:eek: I saw a guy on another forum that put 3.55's in a Tremor. I found some light weight, skinny 33" tires, I'll probably try those. That should act like a slightly taller gear.

Good idea on the tires! A long time ago I had a Porsche 924S. It was almost able to keep up with fox body Mustangs. I was young and had no money and bought a set of used rear tires that were taller. To my surprise I was able to pull on all the cars that were able to get away from me before. I was really stunned that a 4 banger NA car liked taller gears though.

What size are your tires now? If they are 30", the 33"s will equate closely to having 3.73's. 35's would get you similar to 3.55's, but that would probably be a point of diminishing returns due to the rotational weight.

What size are your tires now? If they are 30", the 33"s will equate closely to having 3.73's. 35's would get you similar to 3.55's, but that would probably be a point of diminishing returns due to the rotational weight.
My track tires I have now are 31.5". My daily driver tires are 34.5" mud terrains, too bad they weigh 78 lbs a piece plus rims. :eek:

I'm super happy. I pull a 27' travel trailer that is about 7K lbs fully loaded. Now I understand this is a 1/2 ton that is not a diesel, but that being said it pulls WAY better than my Titan.....and my Titan had lots of mods. Don't expect good fuel economy out of a EB F150 towing, but that being said I averaged about 1-2mpg better when towing with the F150 than I did with my Titan on a 3k mile road trip. With the Titan, I had trouble going faster than 60mph comfortably and was hitting 4k RPM up hills and had to deal with high temps when climbing long 7-8% grades. With my EB F150, I set cruise control at 70 and it holds it in low RPM through hills, bug head winds, whatever. Best tow rig out there without being a Diesel IMO.