too much boost?

ponyetr

I got a little problem. I have my boost set at 14, and taking off off the line, it's great, knock gauge doesn't climb too high, all is cool. But, if I'm doing about 60, and get on it a little bit, the knock gauge goes crazy and climbs terribly. Anybody know what's up?

Usually its just not quite enough PE fuel at that low of an RPM as your just entering PE w/ moderate throttle but with so much load in 4th and/or with the TC locked. The other issue is GM never set the TC unlock values to work when in 4th so you can have those corrected so that when you get near half throttle or so in 4th the tc will unlock reducing load on the engine and no more knock...it also makes for a very nice "getting back up to speed" mod as the car doesn't have to downshift to 3rd before the tc will unlock as w/ the GM code. So you end up with is at a little extra throttle, tc unlocks, pulls in about 5 to 7 psi and you stay in 4th and get back up to speed with no muss and no fuss.

HTH

Is that something that can be done by the chip burner??? If it is, what the heck do you tell him to do?
TIA

yeah, how do you go about doing this? I had the tranny rebuilt with a new precision tc, so it's not stock.

Its all a matter of if your chip burner has spent some time to setup some decent values in the chip for 3rd and/or 4th control. I burn chips for myself and could do it depending on your chip and of course if you could live w/o it for a little while. I did one for a friend and he likes it very much. But if your interested we could discuss.

A little more explanation: With GM's values, if your in 4th w/ the tc locked, doesn't matter what MPH your at there's no way to get the tc to unlock w/o the car downshifting to 3rd which usually causes about 10 psi of boost to be spooled up and a pretty aggressive take off by the car. Well, sometimes you don't want all that. So with the application of correct chip values, now as you approach 1/2 throttle, the tc unlocks, you stay in 4th, 5 to 7 psi comes in with no knock and your right back up to speed w/o all the 3rd gear/10psi/rapid blast you didn't want anyway.

ok, so what will it take to do this? I have a chip right now I got when I got my 42.5 lb injectors. It's set up for 91 octane, etc.