Too big for my combination?

BaldMenace

I have a brand new Garrett GBC37-900 67MM with a .82 AR. This was bought for my turbocharged Buick 300 build which has stalled while waiting for backordered parts. I'd like to use it with my 4.1 if it won't be lazy on the street and if it's not a horrible mismatch. My specs are as follows.
66 Special. 3500 lbs weight
3.830 bore
8.5 compression
3.625 stroke
Internally balanced
Molnar 6.350 rods
ported heads & intake
accufab plenum
70 mm throttle body
Hydraulic Roller cam 210/212
T&D 1.65 roller rockers
th400. 1700/2800 stall
3.42 gears
MS3pro-Evo with 80lb injectors, coil on plug ignition with smart coils.

Your converter might be a little tight, but with those other mods I would run it and see. A little lag might help keep it from overpowering the tires on the street.

Your converter might be a little tight, but with those other mods I would run it and see. A little lag might help keep it from overpowering the tires on the street.
Thanks for the input. It's a brand new transmission with a switch pitch converter.( Dual stall ) Those stall speeds I listed are on a lower power normally aspirated engine. It may end up blowing right thru the converter and if so I'll convert to a standard fixed converter that's ideal for my car.

The old switch pitch convertors are cool!
The stall speeds were for a 425" V-8, so yours will be somewhat lower with the smaller engine.
For you younger folks, the switch pitch convertors were used in GMs TH 400 Transmissions in the Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Cadillac cars in place of a kickdown or passing gear. The trans stayed in 2nd or 3rd gear, but movable vanes on the stator allowed the stall to raise bringing the engine into its powerband. This was much smoother than the trans dropping a gear or two, and was supposed to be a luxury feature.
These are really rare now, but cool! The only difference in the trans was the front pump and convertor with a solenoid to run it.
Ran one in about 1988-89 in a cammed, ported, etc. 11 second 1970 Cutlass.
I had Hughes loosen the convertor even more and it worked really well! I used a switch on the console to control the stall, and left the kickdown type valvebody in it too. Those convertors were supposedly fragile, but I never hurt it. I wonder if it's still in the car now and where it is!
TIMINATOR

The old switch pitch convertors are cool!
The stall speeds were for a 425" V-8, so yours will be somewhat lower with the smaller engine.
For you younger folks, the switch pitch convertors were used in GMs TH 400 Transmissions in the Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Cadillac cars in place of a kickdown or passing gear. The trans stayed in 2nd or 3rd gear, but movable vanes on the stator allowed the stall to raise bringing the engine into its powerband. This was much smoother than the trans dropping a gear or two, and was supposed to be a luxury feature.
These are really rare now, but cool! The only difference in the trans was the front pump and convertor with a solenoid to run it.
Ran one in about 1988-89 in a cammed, ported, etc. 11 second 1970 Cutlass.
I had Hughes loosen the convertor even more and it worked really well! I used a switch on the console to control the stall, and left the kickdown type valvebody in it too. Those convertors were supposedly fragile, but I never hurt it. I wonder if it's still in the car now and where it is!
TIMINATOR
These come up for sale once in awhile on V8 buicks site.