TO wrap or not to wrap

lougn

Is there a problem with wrapping the crossover, and ,or the down pipe to keep the temp. down under the hood? I have not seen it done on turbo cars.

Bad idea on the cross-over, that's where oil commonly leaks out the rear main and then your wrap will be FLAMMABLE. If you're concerned about temps, ceramic coatings are the way to be safe.

I got my Kirban crossover ceramic coated for cheap locally. Been on the car a while and havent had any problems yet. Looks good too. He can do downpipes too.:)

I have my headers wrapped, down pipe and cross over pipe. The point of wrap is not just to keep the underhood temps down but to also keep the heat in the pipes very hot. Heat is energy and the hotter the exhaust gas the faster it moves.

Very good point about the oil leak on the wraps but I dont have a leak and when it does happen I fix it.

No problems:biggrin:

How common are the rear main seal leaks? Is it a big pain to fix or are people just driving letting the oil burn off the crossover pipe.?:eek:

LOL...well it could be a GM thing rear main and the back side of the intake leaking are not at all uncommon. There are lots of Buicks running around out there with some slight oil leak and yes just letting it burn off the cross over pipe:D

I like most people hate oil leaks and any leak is not good it is just a matter of how bad and do you have the time/know how to fix it. Replacing a remain in these cars can be fairly simple if you are familiar with these cars and and know what you are doing, I def would not suggest it to a novice. If you have some knowledge good tools and plenty of time it can be taken care of with some ease.

I've been wrapping downpipes on these cars since 99',no problems yet. Does keep it ALOT cooler under the hood and saves the A-arm bushing from cooking amongst other benefits.