To much octane?

realspartan

Can to much octane hurt performance? I always fill up with pump gas with 94 octane here in Canada. I have a tt chip that is tuned for 94-96 octane. I use lucas octane booster just for insurance especially in hot and humid weather. I recently purchased and added a 32 oz of torco accelerator into a full tank of gas and the Buick just doesn't feel as powerful. According to torco a 32 oz bottle should boost my octane to about 98 with a full tank of gas. Any ideas?

Regards,
real spartan.

I don't think being 2 octane over would hurt performance although too much isn't good. I would refrain from using boosters.

Many owners/racers have use the Torco additive locally for years with very good results, and I have used it in street/strip cars have been very satisified with improved results. Many of the cars are equipped with good data recording provisions, so we are able obtain good numbers, not just a "seat-of-the-pants" feel! :)

We have done dyno sessions where Torco additive has shown to work excellent in raising octane on pump gas, however we are always careful not to exceed the published limits of this octane booster.

I would not trust it to make 116 octane out of pump gas, but we have seen it giving results up to 110 octane race gas from pump gas.

Since higher octane gas burns slower, it is logical too much octane will affect spool-up when over done, and we have experienced this as well.

I personally have used a quart of Torco in a tank of pump gas in many TR's, including one of my street TR's, and never seen any issue with loss of power or performance. :)

Since you have hot, humid conditions, that could be a reason for your reduced performance, or maybe some old 94 octane that has deteriorated? Summer blend gas is crap here, I would guess in Canada they also change to summer blend gas.

Anyway, you have my ideas! :D

The short answer to your question is yes, too much octane can hurt performance but you'll never reach that point using any over the counter octane booster. Save your money and put it towards an Alky kit, run race gas or switch to e85. Most here are doing one of the three.