To much black

to much black

• Stick with the plan Go all black

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • To much black add some color

Votes: 33 52.4%

• Total voters

The_Six

Hey guys puting my engine back together and I am having every thing done in black . Im having the intake, plenum, TB, fuel rails, heater hose lines , valve covers, turbo covers , MAF pipe FMIC pipes all done in black will this be to much black under the hood. I do have red hose cuplers for the turbo plubing and plan on polishing the fins on the vavle cuvers and plenum. I will also be using stainless bolts. Some day when I can aford it I may add polished pullies and champian fuel railes along with braided hose. but that may be a while.

Here is a before pic after my car went down.
IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

not a good thing to me BUT its YOUR car !! I f thats what ya want who cares :confused: Oh get some plug wires that fit :eek::p

Just did my motor gloss black, pulleys satin black - everything else is polished aluminum & chrome (intake, valve covers, MAF, up pipe, compressor housing) little splash of color with the blue wires, hose couplers and KB FPR. Red is a bit bright for me but to each their own. Wire wheeled all the fuel/brake lines, brackets, etc. - really brightened everything up and I like the silver/black contrast.
At least it will be unique whatever you decide.
Just need some wire holders to even out everything, then Grumpy should be happy.

Is that line crimped bad in the bottom picture under the turbo ?

not a good thing to me BUT its YOUR car !! I f thats what ya want who cares :confused: Oh get some plug wires that fit :eek::p

Agree.

IMO - I like my stuff looking stock. Even if it’s not stock, stock colors help.

Did lots of black on mine with a few polished pieces (pulleys, IC pipes, TB and turbo)

IMGP0030.jpg

MotorDone.jpg

what would ya do with the right side wires ??? just tie them in knots to get the right length ?? :p

Uh, Id turn them the other way... right side wires, didn't know they came that way :)

I sure wouldn't scrap a $100 set of wires because they were a little long. If they ordered a regal V6 set, I'm guessing your stuck with the length.

Uh, Id turn them the other way... right side wires, didn't know they came that way :)

I sure wouldn't scrap a $100 set of wires because they were a little long. If they ordered a regal V6 set, I'm guessing your stuck with the length.

look at the wires in the post above yours.. :cool:

But I bet those are custom GN wires $$$ My MSDs are a tad on the long side, shorter than his Magnacores though not 'tight' to the motor.

here is a picture from when I first got the car

Attachments

• S6300183.jpg
    S6300183.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,188
are those the 10mm wires? cant remember the brand. they look like the same ones i have on my car. yes there alittle long on my car and there red which i hate but damn there nice. .002 ohms if i remember right compared to the ones i took off that where .8 ohms :eek:

Yes the wires are 10 MM got them from a board meber here but I dont think he is a vendor here any more there a great set of wires. I will be running them a litte diffrent when the engine gos back in . I know what you mean on the red I thoought hard about changing to blue but by the time I bought new wires and new hoses it would have been a lot of cash that could be well spent some ware else. Im going to polish the turbo housing and the bolts are all polished stainless I have also done a way with the vacuum block. I guess if I dont like it it will motivate me to get the stainless fuel and heater lines in and the polished pullies. My headers are polished stainless so that will help brake it up some. I just thought all black would be diffrent.

You can shorten those wires by contacting MSD and ordering a set of coil end clips, and a MSD wire crimp pliers. Then cut to length, crimp on the coil end clips, reboot and install.

I cut my own MSD 8.5mm wires to my own specific lengths on my '69 Vette. They look and fit great. Recutting could be cheaper than buying a new set. Call MSD and see what they say. By the way, nice GN. Wish my engine compartment looked HALF as good as yours...I'd be very happy.:(

Bruce '87 Grand National

You can shorten those wires by contacting MSD and ordering a set of coil end clips, and a MSD wire crimp pliers. Then cut to length, crimp on the coil end clips, reboot and install.

I cut my own MSD 8.5mm wires to my own specific lengths on my '69 Vette. They look and fit great. Recutting could be cheaper than buying a new set. Call MSD and see what they say. By the way, nice GN. Wish my engine compartment looked HALF as good as yours...I'd be very happy.:(

Bruce '87 Grand National

why not just go to a local parts store and buy some plug wire terminals for a couple of bucks? if you have a decent crimping tool, it will have a spot for plug wire terminals.
or you can do what i've done many, many times when a wire is too long- with a little effort, you can bend out the tabs on the wire terminal and re-crimp them onto the wires after you trim them shorter.

Personally, I like to kind of stick with stock color schemes as much as possible, or at least try to balance everthing out. For example, here's the engine bay of my Charger:

IMG_1907.jpg

Everything that was aluminum from the factory (cylinder head, brackets, etc.) were bead blasted and painted with Duplicolor Cast Aluminum so it all matches, and doesn't corrode. The intercooler pipes were then painted to match. Engine mounts, block, brake booster, thermostat housing, ignition coil/bracket, etc. are Duplicolor Semi-gloss black, all plastic is SEM trim black, and the intake and valve cover are VHT Black Wrinkle. BTW, I hate that paint- great color, but horrible trying to lay it evenly. That valve cover was stripped and redone three times before I settled on "good enough".

Obviously, it's your car so do what you want, but I think all one [any] color will make it look like it was just slapped together and spray-bombed, and all black especially will just make everything too dark and may even make it difficult to work on.

why not just go to a local parts store and buy some plug wire terminals for a couple of bucks? if you have a decent crimping tool, it will have a spot for plug wire terminals.
or you can do what i've done many, many times when a wire is too long- with a little effort, you can bend out the tabs on the wire terminal and re-crimp them onto the wires after you trim them shorter.

You know....I have no idea why I didn't think of that. Guess I'll have to drink more Geritol.:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Personally, I like to kind of stick with stock color schemes as much as possible, or at least try to balance everthing out. For example, here's the engine bay of my Charger:

IMG_1907.jpg

Everything that was aluminum from the factory (cylinder head, brackets, etc.) were bead blasted and painted with Duplicolor Cast Aluminum so it all matches, and doesn't corrode. The intercooler pipes were then painted to match. Engine mounts, block, brake booster, thermostat housing, ignition coil/bracket, etc. are Duplicolor Semi-gloss black, all plastic is SEM trim black, and the intake and valve cover are VHT Black Wrinkle. BTW, I hate that paint- great color, but horrible trying to lay it evenly. That valve cover was stripped and redone three times before I settled on "good enough".

Obviously, it's your car so do what you want, but I think all one [any] color will make it look like it was just slapped together and spray-bombed, and all black especially will just make everything too dark and may even make it difficult to work on.

Real nice engine bay. Can see you put a lot of work into it. Man, it's clean and shiny. Love the color combination. Yours makes the engine bay of my GN look like an old Esso gas station toilet. I'm jealous.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Thanks, I appreciate that. I will admit though, that was at the national SDAC car show last year. It's usually not quite that clean.

Always wanted the burg. Shelby. Had to settle for a blue one.

Sold it to a buddy. He destroyed it in time.

Would love another one. :frown:

Get the Russ Merrit wires from RJC & sell the Red ones to get some $$ back out of them.
Spare sets are always good to have just in case.

I’ll probably take these ones apart and cut them to fit. I don’t think any set you can get premade will fit perfect. I looked through every engine pic I could find today and it’s hard to see anything new so I think I’ll try the black and if I don’t like it I can always change out the throttle body, pulleys, turbo cover and fuel rails to break it up. I wonder if Ronnie can do carbon fiber look powder coating.