To Drill or not to Drill a new Thermostat ?

tufbuick

I will be installing a new 160 degree thermostat in my GN and had trouble burping the air out of my last thermostat install.

What are your thoughts on drilling a 3/16" hole on the stat housing.

I always remove the radiator cap and disconnect the hoses to the heater core and fill the system through those hoses using a small funnel and pouring in my mix of either distilled water,antifreeze,RMI-25. It pushes all the air out of the system that way and you have coolant in the entire system, i have done it this way many times and it always works. I have never drilled any holes in the thermostats that i have used.

the upper rad hose holds liquid against the thermostat , draining the radiator wont drain the hose
drill the thermostat top and bottom and when its time for replacement when you drain the rad below the thermostat height the hose wont be filled , minimizing the mess.

i dont run with any liquid in my overflow and with the thermostat drilled its just a matter of topping off the radiator youre good to go

the upper rad hose holds liquid against the thermostat , draining the radiator wont drain the hose
drill the thermostat top and bottom and when its time for replacement when you drain the rad below the thermostat height the hose wont be filled , minimizing the mess.

i dont run with any liquid in my overflow and with the thermostat drilled its just a matter of topping off the radiator youre good to go

the whole purpose of the overflow is to hold a reserve of coolant to keep air from getting sucked into the cooling system to prevent corrosion and air bubbles that could cause hot spots.. by running it with the reservoir empty, you are causing it to suck in air every time it cools down.

I will be installing a new 160 degree thermostat in my GN and had trouble burping the air out of my last thermostat install.

What are your thoughts on drilling a 3/16" hole on the stat housing.

Drill it .. 1/8 " at the top .. always works

I drill all of mine but I don't think 1/8" is necessary. It will burp air out of 1/16 just the same and not alter the intended design of the thermostat as much. Not saying I wouldn't drill one 1/8 if it was the only bit I had, but I usually drill the smallest bit I can find which is usually 1/16.

I put a 160 stat in my GN a few years back, but just got a powerlogger/scanmaster permanently set up last year. Damn coolant temp hardly ever touches 160...with a front mount...I'm going back to 185.

I just raise car up w rad cap off and run it. But obviously drilling the hole seems way easier