tire weight

odell4o8

I just bought a pair of 295-65-15 mt drag radials.
problem is they weight 10# each more than my new 10X29 hoosiers
i dont need to add 20lbs weight to my car,
as i have mounted and balanced them i cant take them back' so i guess ill run them anyway, i just wondered if any other drag radial user weighted or noticed the weight,
thanks oc,

Drag Radials aren't light. I think the worry about Rear tire weight on a drag car is overrated, though.

If you compare trap mph of DR's to a much lighter bias ply tire, the DR is going to be faster, so the added weight doesn't seem to matter too much.

The drag radials are heavy but my car will goes 1 mph faster with the drag radials than with the lighter slicks.

The drag radials are heavy but my car will goes 1 mph faster with the drag radials than with the lighter slicks.

My car went nearly 4.5 mph faster switching from 41 lb wheels/tires to 49 lb wheels/tires (I never ran above 114 mph with 275/50's but went 118.3 after switching to 8 lb heavier per tire 275/60's).

As I said earlier, rear tire weight on a drag car is overrated.

OC,
How's the new car coming any pics? You going to make it to Reynolds?

My experience has been the stiffer heavier DR will actually accelerate the car FASTER through the 60' at the same boost level as my slicks. The slicks can take more power BUT car will want to wheelie anyway. At a 12psi launch the DR seems to be 3-4 hundredths faster than the slick on my car at the same launch. Top end MPH seems the same but I have been running mostly DR's this year and my best times (60', 1/8, 1/4, mph) have all been on DR's. Try'em you'll like them. Car drives really nice with them going down the track and I don't have to swap tires to go to the local car cruises:biggrin:

You could get the Hoosier dr they are a lot lighter than the Mt. My 325s are about 10lbs less than the Mickey 325.

I just bought a pair of 295-65-15 mt drag radials.
problem is they weight 10# each more than my new 10X29 hoosiers
i dont need to add 20lbs weight to my car,
as i have mounted and balanced them i cant take them back' so i guess ill run them anyway, i just wondered if any other drag radial user weighted or noticed the weight,
thanks oc,

I found the same weight difference. I chose to return the Hoosiers and install the MT's because the Hoosiers are not street legal, and I have a poor relationship with the troopers around here. Although the Hoosiers are stamped DOT, this is only so racers can meet NHRA specs for DOT classes, but they are not intended or recommended for street use. I called Hoosier and got this straight from the source. If you look at the Hoosier DR's, they will have a disclaimer embossed into the sidewall stating "not recommended for highway use". You could probably run the Hoosiers and never have issues [with police or otherwise], but I'm to old to play the police Bu**Sh*t game.