Tire suggestions for an all stock ’87 GN

Anthony P

sharing knowledge with those who care to listen
I will be using the original 15 x 7 wheels and prefer to keep the factory 26” overall diameter, so that limits me to a 215/65R15 or 235/60R15 tire. Since this car is a “garage queen” any tire will need future replacement for age/dry rot concerns in the years to come rather than from wear.

Past experience with the original Goodyear Eagle GT’s and their replacements have made me look elsewhere. Those Goodyears wore quickly, had poor wet traction, and the tire compound got hard too quickly for the age and wear of the tire.

The tires coming off the car now are BFG Radial T/A’s. These were fine on dry pavement, but on a wet road after a rain storm, I could break the wheels loose and kick out the rear end under very light acceleration (no boost) from a traffic light or stop sign. They have almost 3K miles on them over about 10 years, while they look fine, I’m not looking for a situation at highway speeds on my way to a Buick event.

I could stick with the BFG’s size 215/65R15’s all around or use 235/60R15’s on the rear.
I have looked into Bridgestone Potenza G009 215/65R15’s and might go with them noting the data from TireRack.com.
I am not interested in using drag radials on the rear, as I do not race the car.
Any comments on the T/A’s, Potenza G009’s, or other suggestions would be most helpful.

I have the BFG stnd T/A radials right now. I don't really like the way they ride from sitting overnight (lump, lump) until they warm up, but I need a wider rim for my 255's. I have to run low pressure to get the contact patch on the ground right.

I have the BFG Touring T/A's on my 99 Montana and have not found a better riding tire for the cost (but I can't afford Michelins). I discovered them first on our 99 GrandAm from the fcty and they made 72k miles before I decided to replace them. Second and third set have not lasted that long as now our oldest is driving the car. But they are still holding up well.

Good control and ride comfort. No lump, lump. I would highly recommend them for a stock size tire. I want a set for the GN when I get some 8" rims.

I run 235/60/15 BRG radials on the stock rims and they look/ride great.

Pretty inexpensive too.

I have the Goodyear Eagle GT HR 215/65/15 that I bought last summer. Love the tire and it is a Consumer Report's recommended buy.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Does anyone have any comments on the BFG Traction T/A's? I figured I'd look at them as well.

Not too many sizes for the Traction

BFG Traction T/A's are not available in too many sizes for the stock 15 inch rim.

206/60
205/65
215/60
225/60

are the ones I found. I wanted 235/60 or 245/60 so I went with the Radial TA.

The Traction line is supposed to be a good tire :)

Thanks Renthorin. According to the BFG website, there are three service ratings available.
215/60R15 94H RBL 25.2" Diameter
P215/60R15 93T BSW 25.2" Diameter
P215/65R15 95T BSW 26.0" Diameter
I will go with the 26" tire. It's a good find with the black side wall rather than the raised letters (my RPO code was QYZ).
I am cautious about putting 235/60's on the front as some have said the tire may rub the plastic wheel well when the suspension is compressed from a good bump in the road. As an added bonus, I'm hoping the Traction T/A will stick better than the radial T/A in the 215/65 size.

I think that is the stock size right? You should be able to spin those without even trying :cool:

If a 235/60 hits the inner fender plastic when your front end dips you NEED to rebuild it or get new shocks. I have never heard of that happening and I have some pretty deep dips around here that I drive through.

I have had them rub the frame rail when I turn it all the way to the side but that won't hurt anything.

I have the raised black letter out and the white facing in so nobody sees them.

Post some picts when you get the new tires on :smile:

yes, that is the stock size. The possibility of rubbing with the 235/60's was just something that BWeavy mentioned to me. Dennis Kirban says our cars will handle 235/60's all around without a problem. I'm off to pick up my redone wheels from Brian. Thanks for your input.