Tire Guru's

$1987 GN$

Neighbors are SLEEPING ?
Ok people.

Have a issue with pulling on a vehicle, no accidents etc.

Four wheel alignment has been done at two different locations.
Both locations say the alignment is correct.

Car still pulls to the right ! !

The last place swapped the tires front from left to right. ( Directional tires)

This corrected the pulling issue (not sure what this does to the tires).

The tires are BF Goodrich Traction Advantage.
The tire shop tells me there is nothing wrong with the tires . . .

ok now is where it gets silly the one place said the strut bearings were bad; ok so replace the bearings (yes they were bad) at the same time the springs and struts were replaced. ( might as well it is all apart)

Car still pulls to the right. I am going to another tire shop to have them pull the tires and swap them to tell me whether the issue is the tires.

Any suggestions?

Later AJ

Quote: "Have a issue with pulling on a vehicle, no accidents etc.

This corrected the pulling issue (not sure what this does to the tires)"

Tire pull.
Can you rotate the rear tires up front,and try that?
Swapping front directional tires temporarily verifies tire pull.
BTW, what kind of vehicle and do you have the alignment printout?

You have to have a shifted belt in the left tire that was causing car to pull right before swapping them. Did steering wheel shake at ant speeds before swapping tires? an alignment that is off could cause tire to wear funny over time causing pulling problem. need type of car. need specs. need to see cross camber and caster. A car will pull to side with the most camber.
It can also pull to the side with the least caster. toe wont cause a pull unless it is way off and i mean way off 2-3 degrees . and it is not really a pull its more like the tire hops. scrub radius is the name for it.

Quote: "Have a issue with pulling on a vehicle, no accidents etc.

This corrected the pulling issue (not sure what this does to the tires)"

Tire pull.
Can you rotate the rear tires up front,and try that?
Swapping front directional tires temporarily verifies tire pull.
BTW, what kind of vehicle and do you have the alignment printout?

Well I thought it was a shifted belt, so I had them pull the tires and put a different series on. Vehicle still has a sight pull, the pull is very small if you let the wheel go it head for the shoulder. ( not fast but you can feel the pull in the wheel)

A four wheel alignment was done, Active Green and Ross did the alignment.

Grand Am

Later AJ

You have to have a shifted belt in the left tire that was causing car to pull right before swapping them. Did steering wheel shake at ant speeds before swapping tires? an alignment that is off could cause tire to wear funny over time causing pulling problem. need type of car. need specs. need to see cross camber and caster. A car will pull to side with the most camber.
It can also pull to the side with the least caster. toe wont cause a pull unless it is way off and i mean way off 2-3 degrees . and it is not really a pull its more like the tire hops. scrub radius is the name for it.

No steering shake, slight vibration ~70mph.
No tire wear as these were new tires ~4 months ago. Now new again different tire.
I asked my wife for the document, she lost it ! :eek:

I will be calling the shop in the morning to get a copy of the info if they keep it. ( no idea if they do)

Thanks AJ

If it's that slight, try driving in the left lane and see if it will cross over the road crown to the right lane.

attachment.php

Well here is the spec.

No dragging brakes, car is square.

Thanks AJ

Attachments

• alignment.jpg
    alignment.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 97
That's a good alignment. Half degree caster split, even camber. Might put a 1/16" more toe-in. Shorten length of RH tierod adjuster 1/4 turn. HTH.

Did they check bushings on front lower control arms? that camber in rear should have been addressed .the left side could cause tire to pull to the left slightley. If the left rear pulls to left .It will push car to the right when driving.Not a lot of places would adjust rear with specs like that. full contact shims suck on those cars. The differance in caster could be lower control arm bushings seperated from sleeve in arm. I have done a lot of realignments because of parts that were overlooked. The car should drift a little to right due to road crown. Drift. not pull. If car was driven in chicago it would pull on every road:biggrin:

Did they check bushings on front lower control arms? that camber in rear should have been addressed .the left side could cause tire to pull to the left slightley. If the left rear pulls to left .It will push car to the right when driving.Not a lot of places would adjust rear with specs like that. full contact shims suck on those cars. The differance in caster could be lower control arm bushings seperated from sleeve in arm. I have done a lot of realignments because of parts that were overlooked. The car should drift a little to right due to road crown. Drift. not pull. If car was driven in chicago it would pull on every road:biggrin:

:ding: :ding: :ding:

left rear addressed no more pulling, normal right drift.

Later AJ