Timing in Jay Carter chips?

TWIN86GNS

I just recently bought two chips from Jack Cotton, a Jay Carter 100 octane chip and a Jay Carter 110 octane chip, both for blue tops. I haven't installed the chips or the injectors yet, but I was wondering what timing is in these chips?

My setup when complete will be SMC alky, ATR 3" external gate DP, stock turbo and an Eastern Front Mount intercooler. Will I be able to run the 110 octane chip with alky and pump gas or will I have to use 100 octane and alky to run the 110? Also Jay if you are out there do you have forced lockup at WOT in either of these chips?

I currently have a Jay Carter 93 chip for stock injectors and I love the way the car idles and runs.

Paul Beal
pbeal@sympatico.ca

Hi Paul....

I bought the same chips except for 40# injectors.

When I look at the chips, the timing looks like:

93 oct - 19*
100 oct - 23.9*
110 oct - 29.9*

These values are all from the main spark bias table, at 4800 RPM and a load of 256.

I have a 16 position thumbwheel, and I am trying to set it up with the first 4 chips being no start, valet, emissions, and 93 octane, then use the rest of the positions to go from 93 to 100 to 110.

I just put my SMC kit on this weekend, plus an oil press and water temp gauge. I'll probably get some alky in the next couple of weeks and start the tuning after I make the chip. I also have to cut off about 1/4" - 1/2" off my wastegate rod, since when I turn it all the way the most I get is 15-16# of boost with the stock setup. I used to have it set at about 18#with no knock with a weird valve that Ken Seggie put on my car that went from the turbo outlet to the actuator... I think I might just add it into the line from the Y to the actuator to bleed a bit more boost, but will try shortening the wastegate rod a little more first.

Jack

Jack@huisman.com

I tried (but not very much) to run the JC 110 with my alky but I was getting to much knock. Just received my JC 100 that I hope will work.

Hi Jack,

Good to hear from you again. How are things at the airport? I quit my job there because of the drive I was doing, I am now working much closer to home and have much more time available for my Buicks.

I installed my hotwire for my fuel pump (not much of a difference) and then I started installing my SMC kit tonight as well. Thanks for the info on the Jay Carter chips. I am still curious if they force lockup while at WOT???

Any more info is always appreciated,

Paul Beal
pbeal@sympatico.ca

Lockup

I am not sure about the WOT lockup. I think that would be done by a code patch somewhere in the chip... and I have no idea where to look for that.

When I installed the bottle for the SMC system, I took an old hood seal (the rubber thing below the windsheild) and sealed the fan shroud to the rad with it. When the fan is on and I put my hand in front of the grille now it seems to be flowing more air. Hopefully that will keep things cooler this summer.

I'm still at the airport... trying to keep myself busy. Good to hear you have more time to work on your cars... you probably don't miss the drive much either!

Jack