Timing Cover Differences

79bird

Will a timing cover from a 3.8 with SFI and distributorless ignition fit onto a non SFI and Non DIS block? I want to switch to a DIS, SFI system in the future and need the info. Thanks

Yes the timing covers will interchange. Some of the older covers will need three 1/4-20 holes tapped for the 20 bolt oil pans. Eric Fisher

I have a 4.1 with a distributor now, but would like to switch in the future to the DIS and SFI system for the Reliability and tunability factor. So that's what the cover would be for. I'm thinking from a late 80's Riviera or Lesabre FWD. They have a nice clean looking Mpi setup. Add a cold air setup and street headers and I'll be all set. Any other ideas?

Well now the front covers from a FWD are different. They use a different water pump and oil pump. If I was going to fit DIS and SFI to a RWD set up I would use the ignition and fuel system from an 86-87 turbo car with the ECM and electronics from a 85-86 Century 3.8 RPO LN3. About the only thing you would have to rewire would be the cam sensor. If you want to run just SFI the electronics from an 85 Park Ave with the RPO LN3 engine has SFI with a conventional distributor. Eric Fisher

Carb cars and SFI (RWD's) use the same timing covers. The SFI just blacks off the fuel pump hole and puts a cam sensor in place of the distributor. Mid-85 was the 14 bolt to 20 bolt oil pan change over. Most aftermarkets handle both styles.

On my car, '79 Sunbird, The V6 cars came with a in tank pump. I have the pump-sending unit From a V6 car so that'll work out perfect. I also have the H-Body specific oil pan (18 bolt) and pickup for the motor. I had thought the ignition was fired by a crankshaft trigger but a cam sensor would be better. Thanks for the help, any more thoughts would be appreciated. Any other threads you know of to check out on this board?

Is the RPO LN3 option a higher performance code? What do I look for when searching for it?

The LN3 was just a standard 3.8 used in 84 and 85 only. It has SFI with a standard HEI distributor. I think the HP was rated at 180HP. It can be identified by VIN code 3. Eric

I went surfing around today and found this link;
http://www.automotive-links.com/mak/bui/bui.htm
It has links to many different Buick sites including the Turbo-Regal site where I found out that the LN3 code was for a MFI (3800 series) 3.8 that came in a 84 Buick Century T-Type. It does have the #3 as the 8th. number in the vin. Thanks for your help.