Time To Install The Wrinkle Coated GN1 Valve Covers

SYTECH

Thanks to the generosity of our local Buick Guru (Mr. Lou), I have a great looking set of wrinkle coated GN1 valve covers that need to be installed on the GN

I have been driving the car alot lately and I hated to tear it down and be stuck up on blocks (AGAIN)

I've needed to re-torque the heads (after my 10 second run) and it has been almost a year since I adjusted the rocker arms so I finally broke down today and started the breakdown........grrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

Damn, and I just installed the GT70 dual ball bearing turbo just 4 days ago, and everything was running pretty good

Off came the front tires, off came the crossover pipe, off came the ATR down pipe, off came the intercooler to turbo pipe, off came the dual BB turbo, off came the heater core lines, off came the passenger valve cover, and finally off came the roller rocker arm

Retorqued the passenger head studs to 85 ft lbs (found a couple looser than the others), checked all the springs, looked for metal debris in the little head pockets (none found - :biggrin: ) and did the rocker adjustments to zero lash plus 1/2 turn

Just started working on the drivers side when it started raining (again) and I had to call it quits for the night...:mad:

Tomorrow I will drop the old GN1 valve covers off to Mr. Lou, find some valve cover gaskets, and hopefully find time to get the drivers side done so I can put the GN back together

Never ends, never ends

Later everyone

Ray

Thanks

Thanks to the generosity of our local Buick Guru (Mr. Lou), I have a great looking set of wrinkle coated GN1 valve covers that need to be installed on the GN

I have been driving the car alot lately and I hated to tear it down and be stuck up on blocks (AGAIN)

I've needed to re-torque the heads (after my 10 second run) and it has been almost a year since I adjusted the rocker arms so I finally broke down today and started the breakdown........grrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

Damn, and I just installed the GT70 dual ball bearing turbo just 4 days ago, and everything was running pretty good

Off came the front tires, off came the crossover pipe, off came the ATR down pipe, off came the intercooler to turbo pipe, off came the dual BB turbo, off came the heater core lines, off came the passenger valve cover, and finally off came the roller rocker arm

Retorqued the passenger head studs to 85 ft lbs (found a couple looser than the others), checked all the springs, looked for metal debris in the little head pockets (none found - :biggrin: ) and did the rocker adjustments to zero lash plus 1/2 turn

Just started working on the drivers side when it started raining (again) and I had to call it quits for the night...:mad:

Tomorrow I will drop the old GN1 valve covers off to Mr. Lou, find some valve cover gaskets, and hopefully find time to get the drivers side done so I can put the GN back together

Never ends, never ends

Later everyone

Ray
Thanks Ray!
Your always kind & grateful. A word of caution when retorquing head bolts. Always back them off about 10 degrees to break the friction lock .Then proceed to your 85 # otherwise you may get a false reading. Take a mental note of where the bolt was before you backed it off & where it winds up after re torque & you will see what I mean.

Thanks for the words of caution Lou. I think I backed them off 1/4 turn before re-torquing so hopefully it was enough to break the friction lock.

I'll see you early this afternoon if you are in the shop

Later

Ray

It's Alive......

:eek:

FINALLY got it all back together this afternoon

9 thousand zip ties, 47 t-clamps, some copper spray gasket, and half a can of the "Right Stuff" and I am flying down the street once again...lol

Car started right up, no leaks :)D ), and when I took it out for the confirmatory test ride,....... what a suprise........it actually ran REAL good, and the annoying rattle I had at part boost was gone!

Must be those new wrinkle coated valve covers....:biggrin:

I guess there is something to be said as far as adjusting your rocker arms (for those with roller rockers) from time to time...lol

Now I need to work on my FAST program for fine tuning the low power program cells

Thanks to "El Cohiba" - the masked spanish mechanic, for helping out with the re-assembly yesterday. I never knew you could cook up carne asada
on the intake manifold while heating tortillas on the 3 inch down pipe at the same time. BRAVO "El Cohiba"........another satisfied stomach and fine running GN to boot.......

Later

Ray

Blast from the Past

This is what happened last time my GN was running real good...:eek:

115 mph, 3/4 track heading for the finish line and WHAM....hood pin breaks and the hood flies up destroying the fenders, ripping off the fuel line from the fuel rail, mangles the hood and shattered the T-tops......not to mention ruining a great set of jeans when I SH*T all over myself

Wow! Your very lucky that's all that happend. :eek:

I mean you could have peed your pants also. :D

I'm glad nothing happend to you that run Ray.

This is what happened last time my GN was running real good...:eek:

115 mph, 3/4 track heading for the finish line and WHAM....hood pin breaks and the hood flies up destroying the fenders, ripping off the fuel line from the fuel rail, mangles the hood and shattered the T-tops......not to mention ruining a great set of jeans when I SH*T all over myself

Carlsbad Raceway...sniff-sniff...gone with the wind.