Time from upgrades, need suggestions on camshaft

TryMeGT

Made my best pass in BG last weekend with an 11.49@115. Car is usually an 11.80 car. The final time trial a lifter collapsed so I didn't get to compete. My TE44 was already on the way out and I was borrowing a friend's TA60 but it didn't really give me much improvement. I wanted the car to go 11.2 or better. So I am considering a Presision 6262 Turbo and since I have have to tear the intake off, I may as well change the cam. Currently it is a 206/206 flat tappet so I was thinking about going roller, maybe 212/212. Heads are Champion irons, converter is a 9x11 2800-3200 stall. Is that cam selection going to work well, maybe dip the car into the 10's? Let me know your suggestions.

The 212/212 is a good cam for a 10 second turbo Buick but the 206/206 would be fine also. My car went 131mph with home ported irons with stock valves, stock unported intake, stock throttle body and stock MAF with a TE-45a and a 206/206 flat tappet cam. I have had a few different 10 second turbo Buicks with slightly different set ups and its been my experience that one aftermerket cam is not a whole lot different than another as far as performance goes. In N/A engines cam choice is extremely important but in turbo Buicks them just don't seem to respond that much different. You will get a lot more bang for your buck with a turbo upgrade. The 45a is considered old school now but I have not seen any of the newer turbo out perform it but your converter would likely be borderline for a 66mm turbo but 62ish turbo would work well or 66ish ball bearing turbo would work great and either turbo would get you in the 10's with the right tune and traction.

Steve, I have a stock intake, plenum and MASS also. I have considered the TE45A as it is a good choice. I also know guys with 3200 stalls that don't have a problem to make them work. I was thinking 6262 just to take advantage of new technology. If a cam change is not going to benefit me then I will leave well enough alone. The cam has been in there since 2004 so I thought about just changing it for the halibut. Going roller cost roughly $800-1100, so if there is no major benefit, the dollars are a waist. Thanks for your input.

I have ran a 45a with a 3200 also and it worked pretty good. With a Bailey two step I am sure it would work really well. The biggest advantage to the roller set ups is knowing the cam wont wipe(unless something really goes wrong) but yours is well seansoned and if good condition you wont get $800-$1100 worth of performance increase from upgrading the cam. If you spend that $800-$1000 on a new turbo you can really pick up some performance!

Maybe I will just leave well enough alone then. I will replace all the lifters just as good measure and leave the cam alone. Put the money in a good turbo and have more fun going faster. I will also talk to my buddy, whom I refer to as the Buick Guru, because he knows these cars inside and out for his thoughts. I do need a 2 step in the car though. If not going roller then a couple hundred for a 2 step is a bonus:)

Even though your cam is well broke in make sure you go thru the break in procedure again with the new lifters.

I like my combo with the 6262 journal bearing. See sig. for combo/time. The 6.80 1/8 mile should be around a 10.80 1/4 mile.

Lifter did not collapse. Went to work on it today and started it up. The cold weather showed the real problem. It had a hairline crack in the rocker shaft. When I started it cold it almost snapped the rocker arm shaft off. The crack propagated around the circumference. Easier fix for me. I will just put some solid shafts on it now, leave the cam alone and go with the 6262 turbo:biggrin:

Lifter did not collapse. Went to work on it today and started it up. The cold weather showed the real problem. It had a hairline crack in the rocker shaft. When I started it cold it almost snapped the rocker arm shaft off. The crack propagated around the circumference. Easier fix for me. I will just put some solid shafts on it now, leave the cam alone and go with the 6262 turbo:biggrin:
congrats on the time at bg. i heard you ran good. call weber and get a brace kit for your rockers. they sell 6 instead of 4 like others are. they will keep your stock shafts together. i have them on my roller setup. if your going to get another turbo go for a new journal cea wheel from precision. 6266 or 6766

I would get a wideband and get a better hold on the tune. The car should be going 120mph with your mods at 25psi. A 6262 would be a good choice since you need a turbo. I would even look at the 6069 turbo Precision is offering as a budget turbo (old PT54, TE61). The larger exhaust side will help. I would not go with a 67 compressor, or even the larger 65 or 66 exhaust wheel unless you want to go deep in the 10's. You will just be adding lag, making the car less fun on the street.

I know everybody feels the need to have the latest and greatest, but in the end, they end up running the same as what the old stuff would do for 100's less.

congrats on the time at bg. i heard you ran good. call weber and get a brace kit for your rockers. they sell 6 instead of 4 like others are. they will keep your stock shafts together. i have them on my roller setup. if your going to get another turbo go for a new journal cea wheel from precision. 6266 or 6766
If I can get a hold of solid shafts then I woun't need the supports, but if I can't then it will get either Webers or RJC's shaft supports this time. Think if I go bigger than 6262 then my converter will not be enough. But it will be a CEA turbo.

I would get a wideband and get a better hold on the tune. The car should be going 120mph with your mods at 25psi. A 6262 would be a good choice since you need a turbo. I would even look at the 6069 turbo Precision is offering as a budget turbo (old PT54, TE61). The larger exhaust side will help. I would not go with a 67 compressor, or even the larger 65 or 66 exhaust wheel unless you want to go deep in the 10's. You will just be adding lag, making the car less fun on the street.

I know everybody feels the need to have the latest and greatest, but in the end, they end up running the same as what the old stuff would do for 100's less.
I have a PLX wideband and shoot for ~11.3 but it if is higher and no knock during the run then I leave the FP alone. It has TT chip matched to the components when I went to the 60lb injectors. No plan to go low 10's ever as I don't have the proper safety equipment (i.e. cage) nor will it get one.

Thanks for the replies

I like my combo with the 6262 journal bearing. See sig. for combo/time. The 6.80 1/8 mile should be around a 10.80 1/4 mile.

6.801 X 1.557 = 10.589xxx you might actually be FASTER than 10.80s ;-)

I ran a 6265 with a completely stock engine and my Gn ran consistent 11.20s in 2000 plus DA with Drag Radials.

Shaft Rocker 002.jpg
Pretty sure that will make a motor tick every time. It was actually hitting the valve cover yesterday when I started it and it snapped.

Out of curiosity, where can I get a set of HD rocker shafts???? I have been to every supporting vendor's web site and no one has them listed. Only found roller setups. Who has them not, I can not remember who I got the last set from, it was 8 years ago? Any direction is appreciated.