Time for a new converter what stall?

Daniel Jost

Squirtin six
Well after a year long engine combo swap I finally got my car together and running this weekend. After starting it up and letting it run a little bit to top off the engine fluids and check the trans fluid and all the fun stuff you do after an engine build I got in to take it for a run to see how everything worked. When I put the car into gear F/R it now makes a whining noise which I have heard before pretty typical of a stator/sprag issue since it goes away when moving and not "Stalling" the vert.
I have an Art Carr 9-11 3100 L/U with the billet front cover in it now and talked to them about rebuilding it for $225, I also have looked at the RevMax converters as we have one in a Nitrous LSx swap car (4L80E) and have been very pleased and they are a very reasonable price. One for my setup would be around $500.

I am wondering if I should take the opportunity now to go with a higher stall? I was thinking 3400 L/U, I am spooling a older Turbonetics T-66. Is this to big of a converter? I drive this car 100% street use and frequently road trip it. Is the art car going to be good enough for high 10 second trans brake passes if I have it rebuilt?

Thanks, Dan

Well after a year long engine combo swap I finally got my car together and running this weekend. After starting it up and letting it run a little bit to top off the engine fluids and check the trans fluid and all the fun stuff you do after an engine build I got in to take it for a run to see how everything worked. When I put the car into gear F/R it now makes a whining noise which I have heard before pretty typical of a stator/sprag issue since it goes away when moving and not "Stalling" the vert.
I have an Art Carr 9-11 3100 L/U with the billet front cover in it now and talked to them about rebuilding it for $225, I also have looked at the RevMax converters as we have one in a Nitrous LSx swap car (4L80E) and have been very pleased and they are a very reasonable price. One for my setup would be around $500.

I am wondering if I should take the opportunity now to go with a higher stall? I was thinking 3400 L/U, I am spooling a older Turbonetics T-66. Is this to big of a converter? I drive this car 100% street use and frequently road trip it. Is the art car going to be good enough for high 10 second trans brake passes if I have it rebuilt?

Thanks, Dan

Do you have any data on what your 9-11 stalls at 0-1# of boost?

Typically the 9-11 stalls lower than 3000. I'm guessing yours is 2400-2600 rpm at 0-1# of boost. If so you can use a 2800-3000 stall to help with spool-up.

Your converter can work well for your goals. If you want faster spooling than you had then your converter will need to be loosened 400 rpm. If it can't be loosened you will need to swap to another converter. There's no way to know what can be done with your converter until it's opened up and looked at.

It is supposed to be stalled at 3100RPM but now that you say that when I am on the trans-brake I notice it to be more around 27-2800RPM. I talked to Art Carr and he said that they can re-stall it to a higher stall for me while they have it. Would 3400 be too steep for what I'm looking for? Also are Art Carr converters the only ones know for being over rated on their stall speed or is it just our boosted setups on all converters? The spool right now seems ok, though its a little slower than I would like it to be.

,Dan

Have him loosen it 400 rpm. This will get you better spooling without it becoming sloppy in high gear. You don't want to go to far or else it will slip excessively.

Stall speed is commonly mis-understood. It's a long story due to the fact that as boost builds, the stall rating changes.