TIG Welded for the first time tonight!

xlr8ngn

I believe I am hooked. I borrowed my buddies TIG welder tonight and welded up some broken pedestals on the foot of my outboard engine. I got a free boat with a '74 Johnson 115hp and it looks like it has never been apart. I was replacing the water pump impeller and the SS bolts seized up and snapped off. I drilled them, and then the ease out just split the bolt instead of it coming out and also split the aluminum pedestal it was stuck in. I ground the pedestals down with a die grinder, and then built them back up with the TIG, then resurfaced flat with a giant file. I then drilled and tapped them back to original. It really worked out extremely well. I read how to weld on the Miller web site about a half hour before, and then took the plunge. I am still surprised at how well it went. I guess I know what my next tool purchase will be.

TIG welding

I build aluminum boats for a living. I have pride and fun in what I do. Not a lot of people can say that. Sounds like you will have a new toy here shortly;)