Ticking Noise

Mr86t-type

Folks,

On this LOW MILE, well Cared for '86 T-Type I have a Ticking noise at Idle in Park/neutral only...and ONLY after it is Completely warmed up..coming from the Lower end, general converter area. I checked ALL the usual suspects, Convetter Bolts/Flex Plate/Header cracks and they are all Good.

Now I've had Several TR's over the years and all but one of them had this Very Same Hot Idle Tick...Ideas??

i have the exact same problem in the same area mines more like a quick knock its at start up though mines most likely rod knock , your tick however my be a leak at the crossover bolts, take you an old garden hose cut it about 2ft put one end on the ear & one on the suspect area or the crossover pipe bolts & see if you hear it better----- keep seeking & you will find...........

I've seen this problem myself over the years too, seems a LOT of them make this noise do to a Piston Pin. Heard it a lot on Well Maintained motors, but ONLY at hot idle in park as well...

Add this to the list of ticks or knocks from the converter area...
Starter gear not fully returning.
Mine is staying just before the flywheel and will vibrate forward to cause a sound like a rod knock on occasion. Found .05 seconds before a hot drip of oil got me in the eye.
Thankfully starters are cheap!

I've seen this problem myself over the years too, seems a LOT of them make this noise do to a Piston Pin. Heard it a lot on Well Maintained motors, but ONLY at hot idle in park as well...

Bingo! Seems as if a few of the Better TR Engine Builders I've talked to over the years have said the same thing, Factory Wrist Pin Issues can cause this.
I know I had the Very Same Hot Idle Ticking on my GN that I had for 10+ years and 50,000+ miles...car performed great (Low 12's)...and never skipped a beat....oh well..