Tick Sound...Audio/Video, NEED INPUT

greg lott

Ok, i need everyones input on this. What is this sound? It's been an on going delema for me.

Car has 5000+ on rebuilt motor,has anti pump up hydrolic lifters, just changed oil and filter 20W-50 Valvoline Racing, tick sound hasnt changed tone or pace since change from 10-40. No knock picks up/No malfunction codes either, car runs pretty strong from little that i drive it.

:confused:

Not the same as a human ear but figured worth a shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3G1ltcfc2Q

Hard to tell, sounds like you have some exhaust leaks also. Check to see if the noise is coming from the cam sensor, sometimes you can even feel it in the sensor cap.
Let us know.

Can you isolate which side? Might be time to pull a valve cover and see whats going on. See if all rockers move the same amount, check push rods etc..

Make sure it isn't belt/pulley/tensioner related.....I have that problem. Remove the belt and start up(but don't run too long like this, because the water pump wont be turning). Just a thought.

that sounds like internal motor noise, if you have roller rockers something maybe broken, also if you have roller lifters maybe the link that ties them together may have broken in half causing the noise.. good luck

noise

try the running engine with no belt like the other guy said, seen a balancer pulley come loose and cause that noise along with a whole lot of false knock.. With or without the belt, does the noise continue if you give it some throttle. If it goes up with the rpm's just as loud, good luck with the rod knock. Also sounds like a previous problem I had with my we-4, thought it was a rod knock, put it in park, gave it throttle, dies away with throttle, turned out to be a broken lifter, so I rebuilt the whole thing anyways :D
good luck.

I have the exact same noise, I was told it was a cam sensor, but it sounds a bit too loud for that. Mine seems to go away or at least lessen after the car is warmed up. I'll be trying to track it down this weekend. If I figure out anyting I'll let you know. If you figure it out please post what is was.
The car seems to have no loss of power so I doubt anything is broken inside, my motor has been rebuilt too, not sure how long ago. Who built yours?

Dave

I have had the same noise now for 4 years. I could never isolate it. Everything, I mean everything has been checked with the exception of pulling the oil pan.

Car runs great. See below vid.

i have that noise and was told it is my roller rockers. I'm trying to track down my false knock and was told that I could adjust most of this noise away. How do i adjust roller rockers?

It is not the roller rockers. I have the stock rockers and have the same sound.
I thought it was a lifter, so I bought a roller cam with new lifters, the sound is still there.
I'm stumped, the car only makes the sound at low rpm's/idle. When I give it some gas the sound will go away, even at low rpm for a brief time, then come back a few seconds later. Car runs great.
If I set my idle at 1,200 rpm, I never hear it becasue that is enough rpm's to make it go away.

i have the lunati 210/205 cam as well which i am told is quite noisy. so do you have any ideas what's going on? i'm just exploring this as a cause of my false knock. do you also have the sewing machine noise?

Chevymd38 said:
i have the lunati 210/205 cam as well which i am told is quite noisy. so do you have any ideas what's going on? i'm just exploring this as a cause of my false knock. do you also have the sewing machine noise?

The sewing machine noise is normal with any decent sized cam, you wont get rid of that.
This other noise has quite a few of us stumped.
Hopefully resurfacing this thread will lead to others chime in....

Help!

i can hear a sewing machine noise, and what sounds like a clank clank clank in the video. is that the one?

noise

I had about the same noise for about 2 years. I tried everything. I never thought it would be the egr valve, because when I would pull up on the diaphram the motor would bog a little (like normal) and the vacuum gauge always read good. One day I pulled it off and put a new gasket on just to eliminate it from my mind. Bingo noise gone!! I was so glad because I thought it was a rod or a main bearing. Good luck, Todd.