Thrasher Security Help

TurboBuckeye

Wolf In Sheep's Clothing
I just installed a Thrasher chip and can't get the flippin car to start, it will fire briefly and die. I'm following the instructions I was given ( it was a used chip ) with no luck. I've reset the computer a few times and reinstalled the chip a few times with no difference. If I plug in my old chip the car starts fine. Without giving too much away.....is that how a Thrasher acts without the proper start up procedure? Any help would be real, real cool at this point

My anti theft Trasher also did as you describe until I changed to a fresh battery. The volt in the battery must be over 12 v all the time during the start up, or it will die. So I guess the battery is to weak at the moment. You can try to charge it some.

Daniel

hi i can't help you much,
but i would like to ask you some questions about putting in a chip.
i don't know too much about upgrading cars.
i just bought a stock 87 gn.
when you put in a new chip do you have to do any other up grades, before and after.
and what does the chip do for the car.
thanks
hope your starts

Originally posted by huynhda
hi i can't help you much,
but i would like to ask you some questions about putting in a chip.
i don't know too much about upgrading cars.
i just bought a stock 87 gn.
when you put in a new chip do you have to do any other up grades, before and after.
and what does the chip do for the car.
thanks
hope your starts

Depends on what chip you want to put in. A Trasher 92 is a great replacement for the stock chip. Even if your car is totally stock you can put the Trasher in. Most chips are calibrated to run with the 160 degree thermostat, but its not necessary to start with.

Well, the point with the chips is to make the car go faster.

Originally posted by Swede2
My anti theft Trasher also did as you describe until I changed to a fresh battery. The volt in the battery must be over 12 v all the time during the start up, or it will die. So I guess the battery is to weak at the moment. You can try to charge it some.

Daniel

I guess this is a possibility since I have no idea how old the battery is.....it starts the car fine even after sitting for a week though. If I hook up my charger on the start setting and try it will that let me know if the battery is the problem? I'm not sure how that would work

Hooking up the battery charger will ensure that you have the requisite voltage that Thrasher chips require in order to start...that is, if your battery is within reason.

Originally posted by Scott231
Hooking up the battery charger will ensure that you have the requisite voltage that Thrasher chips require in order to start...that is, if your battery is within reason.

In that case I've eliminated the battery as the culprit. Could this chip possibly be bad? I'm guessing the problem is with the car rather than the chip...

Mr. Simpson, you have mail

I had the exact same problem with my 87 GN. The car would fire off and then die. At this point I installed a stock 87 chip I had lying about and the car fired up and ran perfect! Don't think it is a problem with your car at all!! ;)

Thrashers are very picky about battery volts

I had a problem with my Thrasher a month or so ago with mine not wanting to start after sitting 4-5 days. I figured it couldn't be the battery because it was a Redtop Optima that was less than 2 yrs old. After fighting with this problem for a few weeks, I decided to check if the battery terminals were dirty and causing the problem, and found that one terminal wasn't tight. I haven't had a problem since then.

It a lot of fun trying to charge a battery when the hood doesn't want to open. Twice I had to jack up the car and hook the Positive charger cable to the Positive connection on the starter to get the battery changed. I ended up using synthetic mountain bike chain lube on the hood latch and haven't had any problems opening the hood. So far it seems to work better than white lithium grease.

HTH
David