Thrasher Chip

enruco

My son just bought a GN and found a Thrasher chip in the console. It reads oct:92, inj. stock,stut: no and theft: yes. The car does have HP fuel pump and a HP fuel regulator. Kind of want to put it in and see what it does. I did a little research and I think it has some kind of start sequence. Does anybody know what it is. I tried to email a couple of guys who were talking about it a few years back but all the links were dead. If anybody can help thank you in advance.

I would confirm what turbo it has, what injectors it has, what fuel pump it has, and make sure the chip that's currently in it matches up. This is much easier said than done, but it can be done. The most widely accepted and highly-though-of chips on this board would be TurboTweak and/or TurboBob's chips (I don't remember what they're called).

Hate to sound like everyone else, but Thrasher chips are really old school. I wouldn't trust it unless absolutely certain that it matched the setup. Here's a post from the other board from 2002 that mentions Thrashers being old even back then http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/chip-talk/6425-thrasher-chips.html. At best, it'll run OK as long as the timing in the chip isn't really aggressive. At worst, you could blow a head gasket or drive over the crank. It's most important to make sure the chip matches the injectors, turbo, and fuel that will be run.

Last edited:
I can tell you the start sequence via pm but first post a pic of the chip.

Dannyo

Touch your nose while rubbing your belly. My first chip was a Thrasher. It let the boost go to 21 in first gear. Got to low 13s with it.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry it took so long to get back to the thread. I thought I would be getting email alerts when people replied to my thread. My mistake. I tried to upload a picture of the chip it will be interesting to see if it works. It seems from some of your answers that that this chip is probably too aggressive for what he wants anyway. He is only looking for 15 maybe 16 pounds of boost. I think after he has had the car for a while we will try to get a chip that matches his needs more closely. Thanks again for the replies

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    548.3 KB · Views: 93