thoughts on first clean log with Powerlogger

6gunn

high on gas fumes
Attached is the first log with Powerlogger since getting most of the cars issues sorted out. Right off the bat, I can see that it could be leaned out a little. Alky is at 5, so that can probably be turned down. Also, the surging at full boost shows up very well in the log. It's a strange fluctuation which I'm thinking might be caused by a weak wastegate that's unable to keep the boost steady. Just thinking out loud, but I wanted to run this by the experts to get their take on this log.

86 GN
Mods: 60lb injectors, TT 6.1 WB chip, TE44, 3"DP, alky(100% methanol), 2800LU, adjustable FPR (base FP at 43psi vac line off), drag radials.

Attachments

• fullpsirun.dat
    759.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I see what you mean.

Hows that waste gate set up? Stock? Hoses in good shape? Grey Y fitting plumed correctly?

I see what you mean.

Hows that waste gate set up? Stock? Hoses in good shape? Grey Y fitting plumed correctly?

Yes, hoses are in good shape, no Y fitting though. It's setup as...a small length of hose coming off a fitting on the compressor housing. From there, it goes right to an adjustable valve, then on to the wastegate. Do you think I should source boost from somewhere else?

Do you have any way to check the actuator? To see if it holds vacuum?

Also can try running the boost line direct to the actuator. Bypass the adjustable valve.

Nope, no way to pull vacuum. The boost valve is a ball and spring type(gillis valve). Any chance that's what's causing the fluctuation? This wastegate is fairly new, but I can throw the old one back on there to see if it behaves any differently.

Yes I think it's a good possibility. From the looks of the log, thats the only thing fluctuating. Besides that the voltage is a little low but that's not going to effect boost control. Run the boost line direct and see if it smooths out.

OK, I'll give that a try. Also forgot to mention that the wastegate rod is threaded, but it's been a couple years since I messed with it so I don't remember how much preload was put on it. Will I still be able to get 22-23psi without the boost valve inline? Guess there's only one way to find out. I'll report back with what happens. Also going to turn the alky down to 4 or lower until it reaches around 10.8 WOT(with no knock of course). Thanks for the help.

Agree, leave at 6 and pull fuel via chip

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

well i dont know anything about alky but 3 thing
To fat i shoot for 10.8 or 9 on my TSM car and 11.3 on my 11 second street car AFR
Battery voltage is way to low there is something wrong did you check voltage at the back of alt and compare to PL readings?
if stock WG ?its not heavy enough.either get a HD or I use a spring assist on my GN from ACE hardware to keep it from surging works great
dont know your set up
DC is low wish mine was that low but your not running any boost yet anything under 80% DC is good yours is 54%
tell us the recipe

Ok, made quite a bit of progress today. I got rid of the boost valve and now have a single vac line. Had to take a bit of length off the WG rod and have it controlling boost just fine now. Thanks for that suggestion TurboBuRick!
Strange thing with the battery voltage...at the back post of the alternator, it's right at 13.9-14v. So, it's showing approx .9v lower in Powerlogger. Any ideas why?
Also took some fuel out per instructions that came with the chip. The BLM for that parameter was 117. It's now 119 but I saw it get up to 122, but it went back to 119 for some reason. Alky is at 6 btw. Attached is the final log for the day. How many more WOT blasts(on average) do you think it'd take to get the BLM up from 119? 26psi is an animal. I can feel the Nittos begging for mercy at the 1-2 shift. :D

Attachments

• Alky6.dat
    115 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Volts on the powerlogger are at the ecm so your losing volts along the way to it. So I hope you have a hot wire kit on the fuel pump. Imagine how much is lost through the stock fp wire?

Yeah, it has a hotwire to the pump which is a Racetronix 340. Looks like I need to get this voltage issue figured out before going any further here.

Even though the volts are low it's still plenty rich.

I seen a big improvements in ecm voltage when I removed accessory load from the fuse panel. I made a hot wire kit and ran it inside for accessories.

Glad that helped the boost issue.