This will also make you sick...

Hacksaw

"...The '83-'88 Monte Carlo SS. ...Now, by modern standards, 180 hp doesn't seem all that impressive. But in the mid-'80s, it was top-shelf, with only a few high-performance models besting it (and even then, not by all that much)."

All the rest of the nausiating Chevy biase is at:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Ent...y_Lane_1983-88_Monte_Carlo_SS.S215.A9640.html

I'm considering pulling my Father's '87 TR out of storage for the exclusive purpose of doing donuts & burnouts in a certain Writer's driveway! :tongue:

-Mike H.

That article is pretty fair I think. I've owned three Monte Carlo SS's and two GN's. Although the GN's were much quicker, they were not necessarily better. The Monte's have a tough stock car look to them (just like the Turbo Buicks)and they sound great rolling down the street. I'd love to have one to add to my garage. White with blue interior please!

" Though this exact same engine was rated at 190 hp in the Z-28, the Monte's version was downrated slightly, to 180 hp, probably to avoid annoying the Camaro faithful. "

At least our cars where underated to avoid annoying the Corvette faithful :smile:

Quote from the first paragragh:

If you were a kid in high school or college during the mid-late 1980s and into fast cars, you undoubtedly remember the last full-frame, rear-driven, live-axled, carbureted V-8 muscle car GM ever made: the '83-'88 Monte Carlo SS.

Last time I checked under MY hood....;)

Buick From Hell said:
Quote from the first paragragh:

If you were a kid in high school or college during the mid-late 1980s and into fast cars, you undoubtedly remember the last full-frame, rear-driven, live-axled, carbureted V-8 muscle car GM ever made: the '83-'88 Monte Carlo SS.

Last time I checked under MY hood....;)

*****Heck, when I was in high school, all the kids wanted to get Buick Grand Nationals over Iroc-Z's, Mustangs, or anything else... You simply could NOT get one around here for sticker price, and they were very hard to come by. You could easily get a Monte SS at just about any GM dealership, but there was always a wait on the GN's. Most of my friends ended up with either Monte SS, or Iroc's back then, as the GN was so hard to come by. I got mine used 10 years later, and am glad I got it instead of the Monte SS. Heck, lots of people still think IT IS an SS.. :)

Billy

Back in the fall of 1988 I was a sophomore in high school and had a Chevrolet dealership around the corner from my house. They had a line of approx 15 Monte Carlo SS models in about every color combo you could imagine. Lots of guys bought them. One buddy bought one because his dad didnt want to pony up the extra $$ for the Buick.
There was never a shortage of Buicks around here. I used to pass a Buick dealer everyday and they always had atleast 3 or 4 sitting in front of the show room. Most of the guys I went to school with wanted Mustang GT's or Irocs or Trans Am GTA's.

I've been working for Chevrolet dealerships since 79. I can remember when they brought out the 83 MCSS. I wanted one bad but I wasn't to keen on the white interior and column shift. White or blue exterior didn't do anything for me either. We got 2 of them in last week of February or maybe last week of March 1983. Now I wish I could find an 83 or one of the 86 Aerocoupes in good shape and at a good price. Its bad enough they are slow in stock form but I aint going to pay good money for a car that is slow and a Chevy. I bought the first black 85 MCSS that hit the Omaha area in Sept 84. It had every option on it but T-tops and thats only because they didn't release that option until later in the model year. Glad I didn't have to experience leaking T-tops now that I think about it. I would guesstimate a bone stocker should be capable of doing a 16 flat quarter mile. That was the last new car I ever bought. Traded it in for my 86 GN. Funny thing I can remember on our lot we had all of the MCSS lined up in a row. It seems after about 1985 nobody wanted a standard trim MC so all we had were MCSS on the lot. We had about a dozen or so 87 Aerocoupes in all of the colors lined up and they sat forever. I was going to buy one only because we were discounting them just to get rid of them. One day as I was leaving for home this GN drove up and as the sales department was taking off the old plates I was in the used car sales managers office signing the papers. Drove the GN home that night. Kind of glad I did. I look like a dork with a mullet hair-do and the GN just seemed a little classier than growing more hair.