This one hit a little close to home

kh440

Jo Bu needs a refill!
(Suzanne was in the ER at Moore Regional Hospital with her son when the victims and the shooter himself was rushed in, resulting in the "lockdown")

Eight dead in Carthage nursing-home shooting

Posted: Today at 11:41 a.m.
Updated: 6 minutes ago
A gunman burst into a Moore County nursing home Sunday morning and started "shooting everything," killing seven residents and a nurse and wounding at least three others.

Robert Stewart, 45, of Moore County, was charged hours later with eight counts of first-degree murder and a single charge of felony assault of a law enforcement officer. Authorities offered few other details, allowing only that Stewart was not a patient or an employee at the nursing home, and isn't believe to be related to any of the victims.

"It's a horrible event in any size town, particularly, though, when you deal with a small town such as Carthage," said Police Chief Chris McKenzie. "It's hard. This is my home, my small town. I was born and raised here so, yeah, I take it to heart a little bit. All you can do is move forward."

Authorities said Stewart began his rampage around 10 a.m. at Pinelake Health and Rehab Center, 801 Pinehurst Ave., a 110-bed rehabilitation, nursing and Alzheimer's care facility in Carthage. Officer Justin Garner, 25, was also wounded before Stewart was shot and apprehended.

WATCH VIDEO
Carthage police chief holds news conference

Sen. Harris Blake, a Moore County Republican, said six people were killed at the scene and two died later FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital in nearby Pinehurst. He said sheriff's officials told him that Stewart "comes in and just starts shooting everything around."

"This gentleman had about four or five different weapons. He came in with a shotgun, a rifle and a couple other different kinds of weapons," Blake said. "This could not be anymore barbaric."

"The assailant shot a total of 11 individuals, both outside and inside the facility. Eight of those shot were fatal, seven patients and one employee," McKenzie said.

The victims were identified as residents Tessie Garner, 88; Lillian Dunn, 89; Jessie Musser, 88; Bessie Hendrick, 78; John Goldston, 78; Margaret Johnson, 89; Louise Decker, 98; and nurse Jerry Avent Jr., 39.

WATCH VIDEO
Victim's father: 'He saved a lot of lives'

“All I heard is that someone went in there and started shooting and he was after his wife,” said Jerry Avant, Jerry Avant Jr.’s father.

Jerry Avant said doctors called his son a hero.

“He undoubtedly saved a lot of lives. He count himself 27 bullet holes, that is what the doctor told me,” Jerry Avant said.

Tammy Clark's mother was inside the nursing home when the rampage happened.

"To my understanding he was shooting at the residents and the workers,” Clark said. “He went into the room and shot some of the people right there in their beds."

Clark’s mother wasn't injured.

Late Sunday afternoon, authorities appeared to be conducting a search of the nursing home's parking lot, which they had blocked of with yellow police tape. Among the items they found was a camouflaged-colored rifle or shotgun, which was leaning against the side of a Jeep Cherokee.

The road leading to the home was filled with parked cars, both of police and relatives of those living at Pinelake. Howard McMillian, of Lakeview, said he raced to the scene as soon as he heard about the shooting. His 56-year-old sister lives at the nursing home, and McMillian said his brother had gotten a call from officials saying she was unharmed.

"I know she's real nervous," McMillian said. "I just want to make sure she's OK."

"It’s very difficult. We prepare for these types of situations all the time. No one ever expects it to happen,” said Emily Sloane, with FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital.

A nursing home Web site said the facility that opened in 1993 has 110 beds, including 20 for those with Alzheimer's disease.

Pinelake, which opened in 1993, recently got a five-star rating, the highest possible, from the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which oversees the federal insurance programs.

Stay logged on to WRAL.com for more on this developing story.

Reporters: Erin Coleman, Renee Chou, Dan Bowens, Sloane Heffernan
Photographers: Keith Baker, Greg Hutchinson, Geof Levine
Web Editors: Kelly Gardner, Minnie Bridgers

Copyright 2009 by WRAL.com and the Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.