This might be a stupid question ?

xippman

This might be a stupid question but everyone talks abought tuning, what do you do to tune the car? Spark plugs? How do you get the volts on the 02 down? I'm sorry if it sound stupid kevin

We arn't just talking about tuning, what everybody here is talking about is the tweaks, both big and small, to get and keep these cars running at optimum performance. These cars are at the 20 year mark and the availability of parts is getting smaller by the day. With this age also comes many problems that are unique to these cars that we are able to share and find successful solutions that will keep these cars running for many more years to come. I once heard that there are only about 200 Hot Airs left. Although I think that this number is low, if it is true, than that makes this web site worth its weight in gold.
ROCK ON DUDES!!

If there are only around 200 left, I have 4 of them right now and a friend has my 5th one.;)

hey guys and girls. Looking at that dismal number of 200, doesnt sit well with me. I know right now, I had three in my possession in three years. Two of which are still in my family, and one was disassembled. I know of two more that were totalled just last year, or the year before. I know for a fact that two more are just 10 minutes away from me, running as daily drivers. The 84-85 GN's and T-types are more numerous than 200, I think.

As per tuning, Boost, chip, fuel pressure are just some of the adjustable components in our cars that need heavy attention. To get a good timeslip, or just a great running car, you need to stay on top of these things.

Check out my other post for a Hot Air registry. I wan to find out where all our cars are, and keep a tight knit network, so that we all can have friends locally, with the same cars, same ideas, and possibly same goals! Lets get our cars located!!!

John

I think the figure of 200 hot air's remaining is way to low. Buick made around 8000 1984/1985 GNTTYPE's(Grand National is only a body option). I figure that after 20 years 90% of them have been junked. This would leave 800 cars still around. I live in the Chicagoland area and will see one of our cars every month or so. I actually ran into one with only 20,000 miles and completly stock which was for sale. Just my thought's. Brad

If anything, I am glad to be wrong about the total number of Hot Airs. Like I stated, I heard this figure from elsewhere. Racemybuick, I think that a Hot Air registry is an awesome idea! You get the Kick A$$ award of the year. Maybe we can make it a "sticky" so it will always be on top so it can be updated regularly.

I've found that nobody just sends these cars to the junkyard. They do get parted out if they are too far gone. Most are fairly well cared for. Everyone knows that GN or T Type is something special (even if it's a hot air). I'd be willing to bet that more than half are still around. This isn't just a wild guess. I base this off of what I have learned doing the '82 GN Registry.

I bet there alone you'll find more than 200 up for sale in a year just on ebay.