This is the last straw...

Orion231

Normally as most of my friends know I am a very avid and deep lover of our cars, but in the last three weeks, I have become a very upset person. First off my car leaves me stranded on I 45 in between Dallas and Houston while I was going to see my dying grandfather in the hospital, I sat on the side of the road and it turned out my NEW Racetronix Wiring harness that goes to the fuel pump is messed up some how or something is wrong causing the problem, shorting out, so I jiggled the connection and viola it runs...But since then I have had a horrific miss and popping while cruising...Then something in my transmission starts acting up, it won't shift right when you get on it it hits the rev limiter and won't go anywhere... We looked at the tranny, dropped the pan, no govenor problem, no TV cable problem... I dunno guys, it just seems no matter what I do, I cannot win anymore. :( I just want to throw the car in the garage and buy something to drive daily because I don't make enough money to drive it daily. But its not just part replacement that hurts its diagnosing them also... :confused: I would take the car to Conleys and let them look at it but I'm afraid I would have to spend 500 bucks just for an opinion... Any ideas guys I'll be glad to supply more information I just don't understand how soemthing can mess up or wear out when everything is NEW! Motor, Tranny, Rear end, sensors, almost everything....

Update...

Guys the fuel pump and wiring harness have worked great for the last couple of months so I'm not for sure if that is the problem. Jack has contacted me from Racetronix and hopefully he can give me some ideas on troubleshooting. The problem is I don't understand why a car with so many new parts can have such horrible problems, I keep it well maintained and The entire drivetrain has been rebuilt... :rolleyes: I guess I must have done something wrong or neglected soemthing. Any ideas?

Orion231, you aren't the only one that gets frustrated! :)

Hang in there, I know it's tough when you get stranded, but don't get frustrated yet. All the new parts will pay off in reliability after you take care of a couple simple things. (By simple, I don't mean simple to find, of course)

Do you have have an extra coil pack, esc, ecm, and an extra chip? Everyone should have a box in the trunk with these items.I hope you have good plug wires as well. The cheapo's don't work. BTDT!

Good chance your problem is one of these items. Pop at cruise? It's prolly not lean pop, likely the miss is something electrical. Since our cars fire cylinders on the exhaust stroke, you could be igniting un-burnt fuel in there. Maybe you are getting intermittent spark.

That $50 FP guage from Postons is a great way to see if there is a fuel delivery problem. It can be taped to the windshield. Gotta wonder about fuel delivery, since one problem followed another there...

A bad MAF will cause you to cut out as well. (got the idea from berman's post, not too far down)

If that 'new' cam sensor just happens to be the problem, you can check it by disconnecting it after start-up. This will put you in batch fire? See if the miss goes away then..

Good luck!

Cory, by the time you read this, you'll be better rested and in a frame of mind to be methodical. Sort this out by the book. Post some numbers, explain every circumstance when things occur in detail. Popping at cruise could easily be a ground wire, maybe a loose plug wire, loose plug :eek:, etc. And all of what Tim said too. Cam sensor will wreak havoc if out of adjustment, scary bad.
.Cam Sensor Position
Now for the over rev on the shift, I screwed up my governor once and had the checkballs in wrong. It overrev'd bad. A missing spring could do that too but not as severely.

Believe me, adjustments in my book are far superior to throwing parts at a car

John that is one clean eng.....I feel I have somehow disgraced my car as it is nowhere near that nice.. I will be in the garage the rest of the day detailing my engine goodbye guy's.

Methodical...

After a few beers last night I am a little more clear headed. I will start trying to figure soemthign out this week, maybe do some poking tomorrow if I feel like it.