Third brake light in back window.....sign of GN???

fbodlovr

1/4 Mile Freak
I was just curious if JUST GN's had that third brake light in the back window, or if just some of them came with it. When I bought my car, there was one in the car, but wasnt in the back windows. It was sitting there with some of the other interior parts. I was just wondering if someone could help me out here.

Thanks!!

I believe that only the '87 and leftover '88 model G-bodies had them... I could be wrong though. I know they weren't just GN specific though.

Someone probably bought one and intended to install it and never did.

it just means that someone found the parts in an 87or 88 G body and meant to install it in your car.
i've never seen one in an 86 or older G body, but my brother's 87 Regal had one.

3rd person to confirm that all cars that were sold starting in 1986 has a chmsl.( center high mount stop lamp);)

just a FYI the only difference as far as the rear of the car goes if someone was drving behind you is the 3rd brake light. Thats the only way to tell if it a 86-87 or a 84-85.

my buddy gave me one im still not sure if i want to install it but i think im going to just for the hell of it.

Is there some type of factory plug that is back there somewhere you can plug into, or do you just have to tap onto the wires for the back taillights?

there a plug back there. its in the very back of the truck on the drivers side with all the rest of the wiring.

light blue wire at large plug inside trunk under tail lamp drivers side.

that would be right. fwiw, i add a chmsl
to any gn or t buy that doesnt have it,for safty and it looks cool IMHO
Agree, it is safer and looks :cool: !
The 3rd brake light was already installed upon purchase in my car.
Now it says "GOT RICE?" :D

light blue wire at large plug inside trunk under tail lamp drivers side.
You have to actually run a seperate wire from the brake switch to the third brake light on a car not factory equiped with one.
If you tap into the trunk wires, the light will flash with the TSI (turn signal indicator :tongue: .......) Does not make sense but that was the only way I could get it to work. White wire from the brake switch ........ I think :eek:

My 85 TTYPE(GN) does not have the additional third light. This does make my car different from the 86/87. I prefer to stay this way and avoid the hassle of installing an additional tail light. Everyone has their own preferences and I respect that. My 2 cents and have a good day. Brad

Agree, it is safer and looks :cool: !
The 3rd brake light was already installed upon purchase in my car.
Now it says "GOT RICE?" :D

You have to actually run a seperate wire from the brake switch to the third brake light on a car not factory equiped with one.
If you tap into the trunk wires, the light will flash with the TSI (turn signal indicator :tongue: .......) Does not make sense but that was the only way I could get it to work. White wire from the brake switch ........ I think :eek:

the got rice insert is cool. you can safely add a 3rd lamp by connecting to the light blue wire (only unused wire in plug) in that large plug.im not sure what happened to your car,but this is the oem way to do this.yes the second option is to tap into the white (right beside orange)wire at brake switch.i think in 84-85 gm was getting prepaired for the new law which eventually came into effect for the 86 model year.

the got rice insert is cool. you can safely add a 3rd lamp by connecting to the light blue wire (only unused wire in plug) in that large plug.im not sure what happened to your car,but this is the oem way to do this.yes the second option is to tap into the white (right beside orange)wire at brake switch.i think in 84-85 gm was getting prepaired for the new law which eventually came into effect for the 86 model year.

So, do you think thats why there is an unused spot in that plug because they were getting ready for that?

Gary,
There is NO QUESTION in my mind you are Captain Electrical and probably correct!
I am not even at the apprentice level (Maybe it is the result of my hate for electrical stuff? :rolleyes: ). Wish I would have known this!
Anyway, my actions were the result of searches and questions on the board wich informed me of the need to pull a wire. :frown:

So, do you think thats why there is an unused spot in that plug because they were getting ready for that?

thats what i believe.if you look at an 86,87 gm simply plugged into this available pin/wire for the chmsl.

Gary,
There is NO QUESTION in my mind you are Captain Electrical and probably correct!
I am not even at the apprentice level (Maybe it is the result of my hate for electrical stuff? :rolleyes: ). Wish I would have known this!
Anyway, my actions were the result of searches and questions on the board which informed me of the need to pull a wire. :frown:

thank you, i had to figure out this one myself too, gm didn't even put this wire/circuit in the 84,85 service manuals:rolleyes: or at least i couldn't find them:biggrin: