Thinking of buying...

Jimbuick

Hey guys,

First post on the forum here, and wanting to ask some questions about these cars (GN specifically) for one I'm considering purchasing.

Aesthetically, I'm a huge fan of the way they look. I've been doing a fair bit of reading on here, and went through the extensive guide that is stickied above but don't have all of the equipment or time to check all of that out on this car.

Here's what I know (have not test driven yet, might tomorrow if things go well):

1987 Buick Grand National
Vin: 1G4GJ1177HP440244
~75,000 miles
Idles well
No strange engine noises
K&N cone type CAI

I've got pictures of the vehicle that I took at the dealership today, and was hoping if you guys that own some of these could chime in on if everything looks like it should.

Attachments

• 635616006130219870.jpg
    635616006130219870.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 200
  • 635616006203031904.jpg
    635616006203031904.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 635616006084751411.jpg
    635616006084751411.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 635616006056782840.jpg
    635616006056782840.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 191
  • rps20150605_214031.jpg
    rps20150605_214031.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 182
  • rps20150605_214056.jpg
    rps20150605_214056.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 186
  • rps20150605_214124.jpg
    rps20150605_214124.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 193
  • rps20150605_214138.jpg
    rps20150605_214138.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 201
  • rps20150605_214204.jpg
    rps20150605_214204.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 175
  • rps20150605_214229.jpg
    rps20150605_214229.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Hey guys,

First post on the forum here, and wanting to ask some questions about these cars (GN specifically) for one I'm considering purchasing.

Aesthetically, I'm a huge fan of the way they look. I've been doing a fair bit of reading on here, and went through the extensive guide that is stickied above but don't have all of the equipment or time to check all of that out on this car.

Here's what I know (have not test driven yet, might tomorrow if things go well):

1987 Buick Grand National
Vin: 1G4GJ1177HP440244
~75,000 miles
Idles well
No strange engine noises
K&N cone type CAI

I've got pictures of the vehicle that I took at the dealership today, and was hoping if you guys that own some of these could chime in on if everything looks like it should.

Attachments

• rps20150605_214256.jpg
    rps20150605_214256.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 151
  • rps20150605_214317.jpg
    rps20150605_214317.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
And more importantly, is there anything I should definitely be looking for with these cars? Issues that almost always present or things that owners regularly do to them that could be a problem for when I go back out? When I drive it, I intend to check for some of the things that the guide talks about but what should I expect to find under the vehicle or under the hood that might be a future problem?

Also, this vehicle doesn't have any badging and I know the GNs would have Grand National badges on the sides and rear. Is it common to shave those off?

And in one of the pictures I got today, there seems to be some kind of marring on the bumper under the headlights. There's a paint chip there and under it is a light blue color, which makes me wonder because these cars were never blue. I ran the VIN through CarFax (didn't buy the report though) and it came up as a Buick Regal Grand National so it should be legit, but I just want to be sure.

How much are they asking? Any rust underneath, surface or deeper than that? Make sure in the trunk stick it has the desirable "G80" code, 8.5 limited slip rearend. "WE2" code means it's an authentic 87 Grand National. Looks to have an older style downpipe elbow.

Badging missing could mean it was repainted or fender/panels were replaced from previous damage. Look over front rear and side frame rails for any damage.

ask dealer for car fax.

How much are they asking? Any rust underneath, surface or deeper than that? Make sure in the trunk stick it has the desirable "G80" code, 8.5 limited slip rearend. "WE2" code means it's an authentic 87 Grand National. Looks to have an older style downpipe elbow.

OK, I'll look tomorrow for that. They want $15,000.00. I bought my GTO from them and was able to get it a good deal below the asking price and know this vehicle has been sitting on their lot for a while so I should be able to work that down some.

Not sure about rust, wasn't able to get under it for very long and just checked for leaks. I'll try to get under it tomorrow and get a closer look. Looked like there was some surface rust on the front brake rotors though.

Downpipe elbow?

Last edited:
Badging missing could mean it was repainted or fender/panels were replaced from previous damage. Look over front rear and side frame rails for any damage.

ask dealer for car fax.

The paint does look like its in decent shape and I know that the paint realistically shouldn't be in great shape because of the quality of that time period.

Yes that RPO codes sticker is probably the biggest proof of it being a real GN. GNs aren't typically cloned because of all the specific parts. Here's a little more info on the RPO codes. http://gnttype.org/numbers/rpo.html The exhaust piping coming out of turbo is an older AFTERMARKET style, not important. Hm, the price might be a little on the high side for what it is. You're correct on paint, GM paint work wasn't the best quality back then. Does it drive like a car that has 75k miles? Seat doesn't feel too worn in..drives solid and straight. Otherwise by what you have here it sounds good. I'd offer him 11k and go from there. I've had my t type for years but bought my first GN about a month ago and was able to read up plenty.

Yes that RPO codes sticker is probably the biggest proof of it being a real GN. GNs aren't typically cloned because of all the specific parts. Here's a little more info on the RPO codes. http://gnttype.org/numbers/rpo.html The exhaust piping coming out of turbo is an older AFTERMARKET style, not important. Hm, the price might be a little on the high side for what it is. You're correct on paint, GM paint work wasn't the best quality back then. Does it drive like a car that has 75k miles? Seat doesn't feel too worn in..drives solid and straight. Otherwise by what you have here it sounds good. I'd offer him 11k and go from there. I've had my t type for years but bought my first GN about a month ago and was able to read up plenty.

I didn't drive it today, just sat in it, inspected it (running and not) for what I could see while I got my car inspected lol.

I'm going back up tomorrow and having them look over my C10 because we discussed a possible trade and intend to test drive it then and do a little more inspecting. Just trying to collect some info on things I should really focus on before going in.

I didn't drive it today, just sat in it, inspected it (running and not) for what I could see while I got my car inspected lol.

I'm going back up tomorrow and having them look over my C10 because we discussed a possible trade and intend to test drive it then and do a little more inspecting. Just trying to collect some info on things I should really focus on before going in.
Ok. Yeah just read up on the Gnttype.org stuff and you should have a good idea. Good luck.

My worthless opinion, if you've got 15k to drop on one of these cars I'd keep looking. The attached document should be of some help if you don't know what to look for. Best would be find someone who does and let him help you spend your money :D. Good luck in your search.

Attachments

• GN buyers guide.pdf
    538.7 KB · Views: 75
My worthless opinion, if you've got 15k to drop on one of these cars I'd keep looking. The attached document should be of some help if you don't know what to look for. Best would be find someone who does and let him help you spend your money :D. Good luck in your search.

If I do buy it, I don't intend to spend anything near $15,000.

There are a few more in this area for sale too, so unless I can get a deal on this one I intend to sell the truck either way and put that towards one of these.

Anyway, is there any reason in particular that you'd say not this one?

The interior and exterior pics are too small to be of much help in determining value. Just going off the engine pics looks neglected and appears in need of some love which always ends up costing you more than expected by the time you're done. If you don't posses the mechanical ability to do most of the work yourself you could end up upside down financially real quick. Things tend to add up fast when taking on a car like this. Battery in the trunk screams hack job. Obviously done by someone who doesn't know what they're doing. Of course, I don't know what your capabilities are so maybe it could work out for you if you're able to pick it up for a song. But you usually won't get much of a deal buying from a stealership because they gotta eat too. Again, all of this is just my worthless opinion...:D

Looking at as many cars as you can will help get a better feel for them. Knowing what to look for comes with experience and that's where finding a buddy who knows these cars to go with you will be worth his weight in gold. Best of luck!

The rear seat insulation is missing, that and the battery hack job tells me enough. I would consider another one. Good luck.

I would look elsewhere. A friend of mine just sold his for 16k, but his had low miles, super clean, new paint/clear-coat, and tastefully modded, high 10/low 11 sec. car. That one looks abused. Keep shopping, even ck out the cars on our board that are for sale.

It may be OK but needs a good amount of tlc. Most I would go is 11k if it is mechanically sound.