thinking of buying 2004 Dodge 1500 truck

GNRick

Retired member
4.7 L V-8 185,000 on body, 85,000 on junk yard motor. Cold Air. New alternator, brakes. Good tires. $4900. Towing package too. Is this a good deal?

I have seen a lot of problems with the 3.7 and 4.7 motors. If it was me I'd look at another brand. Good luck

Hemi is the only way to go. Gas mileage sucks though. I have a 2004 Ram 4x4 short bed regular cab with 67,000. Black of course.

Those engines are such pieces of shit dodged always has them on backorder. Our remanufactured engines frequently backorder too we can't get them fast enough. And the used ones we pull out of trucks don't never get to the shelf they sell right out of the vehicle. The biggest issue is carbon buildup inside the intake manifold.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Those engines are such pieces of shit dodged always has them on backorder. Our remanufactured engines frequently backorder too we can't get them fast enough. And the used ones we pull out of trucks don't never get to the shelf they sell right out of the vehicle. The biggest issue is carbon buildup inside the intake manifold.

Hemis? or the 4.7?

I was referring to the hemi... But anything in Chrysler the ends and .7 is a problem Engine

ATK has actually developed an intake manifold gasket set with screens in the intake ports to keep the carbon out of the engine

I had a 2005 1500 4x4 with 15k miles back in 2009. Towed a small trailer with a fox body from Miami fl to San Francisco. On the trip the water pump went out, transmission developed a leak, power steering pump broke, rear end developed major play, and cracked the flywheel. All maintenance was up to date and the truck was well taken care of. The truck completely fell apart on that trip. Worst vehicle I have ever owned hands down. I now have a 2000 Silverado with a 5.3 and 289k miles that I would trust to make that same trip with zero issues any day over another dodge gas truck regardless of engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you expect anything different for comments on a GM forum asking about a brand X ? If the same question was asked about a Chevy on the Mopar forums where they are "Mopar or no car " , they would be saying the same thing about the Chevys .
I had an 89 Chevy 1500 4x4 from 93k miles to 263k miles , great truck , never owed me a dime for what I got out of it . But at 263k it was very tired in the "power" department,so off it went . In 07 I bought an 04 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 , Hemi with 3.92's , did some mods to get better MPG's/power , great power and IMO , not as bad as one would think for mileage . Now has 89k miles , never any problems with it yet .
Ford , Chevy , Dodge trucks , all in what you like IMO . Keep up on them , will give you good years of service .
Also , no matter which one you have , drive them in winter around here (Calcium Chloride) they're all gonna rot !!!!!!

Did you expect anything different for comments on a GM forum asking about a brand X ? If the same question was asked about a Chevy on the Mopar forums where they are "Mopar or no car " , they would be saying the same thing about the Chevys .
I had an 89 Chevy 1500 4x4 from 93k miles to 263k miles , great truck , never owed me a dime for what I got out of it . But at 263k it was very tired in the "power" department,so off it went . In 07 I bought an 04 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 , Hemi with 3.92's , did some mods to get better MPG's/power , great power and IMO , not as bad as one would think for mileage . Now has 89k miles , never any problems with it yet .
Ford , Chevy , Dodge trucks , all in what you like IMO . Keep up on them , will give you good years of service .
Also , no matter which one you have , drive them in winter around here (Calcium Chloride) they're all gonna rot !!!!!!
Good point. I'm dealing with a sick 08' 5.4 superduty at the moment. Lost compression in #5 cylinder at 127k.. So no matter the make they are flawed,made by the hands of man

Have had awesome service from my 98 silverado 4x2 3/4 ton,It's 17 yrs old and still has every original front end piece in it and still complete original exhaust,runs like a top and never let me down in the 7 yrs i've owned it,though it does need a new pitman arm on the steering box ,but it's the original one with 117k miles so i guess i can't complain.
It also inexplicably never rusted,except for the bumpers.
I started looking at some a bit newer and in 99 and up they went to the newer style and they had alot of problems with the new frames rotting out and breaking,it's the type with the steel tube going from frame rail to frame rail behind the rear wheels, It was so common different companies make frame repair sections for those years.
So if you go chevy/gmc from 99 and up check out the frame well.

Attachments

• P1010422.JPG
    P1010422.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 110
Last edited: