Thinking of a GN

Sr2003

Hey,

I'm contemplating between selling my DD (94 Z71 pickup) and getting a LS1, or keeping my truck and getting a GN. As of now, I would like to build a GN as a car that is my weekend cruiser with a mild 500-550rwhp :). I am curious as to what it takes. I want to do this on pump gas and pass emissions as well, is this possible or am I dreaming? I understand it would take a fully built motor with a monster turbo, but could it be done without spending 20k+?

Later,
Steve

At that HP you will need race fuel in a GN. As for an LS1 it is very possible to do it with pump gas. I just came from the track last night and a friend of mine ran 11.60 at 130 mph with his supercharged Mustang 5.0. This car is a complete street car even drove it to the track. Car has a 5 speed trans, BF drag radials and he did with pump gas (93) octane. This make me upset that I have to use C16 just to run 123-124 mph on my GN.

Ahh...the dilemma....

I just sold an '88 Mustang LX 5.0 last year.
Loved the car, cheap cheap speed.
THAT is why they are SO popular: plentiful and CHEAP.

LS1's:
(1) Are simply incredible but the price of entry into that group is WAY too high.
(2) Mods, although readily available now, are BIG, BIG $$$.
(3) Their engine compartments are NOT user friendly, either!
1/4 of the engine is under the cowl! Duh?!

It's up to you but.......

Personally? I like the stealthy approach: T-Type.
(1) EXCELLENT RIDE QUALITY AND DRIVING EXPERIENCE of the big turbo Regals, compared to my old Mustang LX.
(2) Dare I say it but....Regals are VERY practical: HUGE trunk and VERY large interior, VERY family friendly as well!
(3) You're basically a "cop magnet" in a Mustang, an LS1 Camaro or, dare I say it, the ultimate "cop magnet": the Ram Air Trans Am. Awesome looking cars but talk about the ultimate NON-Sleeper. Jeez.
(4) Mustangs are like belly buttons..........

In my book? Turbo Regal all the way, even if I have to run race fuel.
I do already, in a blend.
You're trying to make 3.8 liters perform like 5.0 or 5.7 so you're going to have ungodly cylinder pressure to do it. BUT...it can be done reliably as well.

Just my 2 cents. :)

I guess a blend of race fuel wouldnt kill me, but I wanted to try to stay on pump gas :). About emissions tho, do these cars have trouble passing emissions when tuned for that kind of power? I think the only place I can get race fuel around here is Cecil County.

Steve

Yes, they can be a chore to pass emissions....

There are emissions chips available but that is all they're good for.....passing emissions.
At the power level you're looking for, you'll not want a converter behind that engine, except maybe at emissions time.

My T is titled in a non-emissions county so NO WORRY for me! :)

No cat, no emissions inspection, race fuel, Ahhhh......

Alky or propane, bigger turbo, and a high stall convertor, 50# injectors, a little eprom programming and a few other odds and ends and you'll be faster than that 11.60 and be fully streetable and pass emissions no problem...all for about $3-5k on top of the price of the car. The possibilities are endless. I'm running the stock turbo still and managed a 12.40 on pump gas and there's several folks that have made it to the 11's with the stock turbo.

Thanks guys, for all the help and info. You are sorta make my decision for me, you guys and State Farm that is. Who would of guessed how high my insurance would be at 19 on a WS6? Haha. But a 16 year old Buick? Not too bad.

Steve

Originally posted by Sr2003
Thanks guys, for all the help and info. You are sorta make my decision for me, you guys and State Farm that is. Who would of guessed how high my insurance would be at 19 on a WS6? Haha. But a 16 year old Buick? Not too bad.

Steve,
Fast 5.0's and LS1's? Everyone's doing it. Fast Buicks? It's a little different. Every time I drive my GN I get compliments and it's FAR from a show car. I never had anyone give my 99 Formula a second glance. And oh yea, that whole insurance thing. I came to Vegas with my Formula, my insurance doubled for 1/5 the coverage. I now have full coverage with a 250 deductible (was $1k on the Pontiac) on my Buick for about $100 a month. There are 19 year old guys out here driving LS1's that could use their insurance payment for a $150k house payment.
Keep the truck, get a nice clean GN for the weekends and turn it into a monster. That's just my $.02. ;)

Peter

I was at a car show last night.....

Originally posted by 99Formula
Steve,
Fast 5.0's and LS1's? Everyone's doing it. Fast Buicks? It's a little different. Every time I drive my GN I get compliments and it's FAR from a show car. I never had anyone give my 99 Formula a second glance. And oh yea, that whole insurance thing. I came to Vegas with my Formula, my insurance doubled for 1/5 the coverage. I now have full coverage with a 250 deductible (was $1k on the Pontiac) on my Buick for about $100 a month. There are 19 year old guys out here driving LS1's that could use their insurance payment for a $150k house payment.
Keep the truck, get a nice clean GN for the weekends and turn it into a monster. That's just my $.02. ;)

Peter

There were TWO MEAN LS1 cars there last night.
I chatted with them for quite a while. They finally asked, "What do you have?". I said, "1987 Buick T-Type....".
Both guys' eyes opened up and said, "we've always wanted one of those....where'd you find it?......what have you done to it?...".
99formula is right on the money.
I have folks that I work with who think I found the "holy grail" with that car.
Don't get me wrong, the LS1's are VERY impressive and I LOVE reading about them in GM High Tech magazine but when a turbo Regal article surfaces, I zone out the family until I've read it from end to end. :)
Love my T.

Good luck......sounds like the insurance issue may have clinched it, huh? ;) :)

I second what 99 Formula said. If you want the coolest car around, that's practical and fast, it's the GN. I own three cool cars, and the GN, by far get's the most attention and jealousy.

The Z is faster(stock for stock), the Vette also gets a lot of attention, but is much more of a chore to drive and keep running(some day I'll rant about part availabilty and prices), but, the Grand National is the "bomb".

It's the last car in my garage that I would sell, even though the Vette is much more of an investment and certainly worth more down the road.

Originally posted by motroman
It's the last car in my garage that I would sell
I would have to agree with that, there's no way I'd part with my GN before any of the others. The GN does get alot of attention, the '79 TA gets as much but is a much slower car and has higher insurance if I were to make it a daily driver. The TTA hardly ever gets a second look unless someone notices the "Turbo" badge on the fender.

GN & T Type

I agree that these are the meanest looking cars GM have produce. When you see them on the street they do stand out and attract attention. I totally love my Buick. I once thought of selling it but then I realize the time I had to wait to own one. Then I said there is just no way I could depart from it. It may not be the fastest but it sure earn its respect. Sure there may be faster LS1 and 5.0 but they will never be as rare and popular like these muscle cars. ;)

just look at the pics of my car on my website...when i am going down the highway when the sun goes down and my parking lights are on with the black outs on...you CANNOT miss my car...my car turns heads of about 1 out of every 3 cars i see...i constantly get people asking about it...it never stops...

now if you get a stock looking t-type...you will have the TOTAL sleeper image...not very many people know about a GN let alone a ttype...but most car people know the GN and fear it

Ok, found a nice car through my dad. It's an 87 with original miles and it looks NEW. Interior is nice and so is exterior. He wants less then 13k I believe. Only problem is that I have to sell my truck to get it. I got another daily driver sitting at home tho (1991 Olds Ninety-Eight).

I am thinking about finding a stock block and building it up with a completely forged bottom end, good emissions cam, and some ported GN1 heads. Then maybe a good size turbo and big FMIC. All this happening while still driving the car around with boltons :). I want a low 10 second car in full kill mode, and high 10's on pump gas :).

Steve

If you find a nice low milage car, forget about ripping the heads off and rebuilding the engine. Leave it alone until you blow a headgasket. I have friends with over 200,000 miles on thier turbobuick and have never had the heads off. These guys are running low to mid 11s all day long. The shortblock is good for 10s from the factory. Yes, you can do it with less boost with a bigger cam and heads, but don't bother until needed.

I think you miss understood me. I wanted to build a seperate motor from the stocker.

Steve

Oh, ok. I just see new guys coming in here and they want to change the cam and heads right of the bat. This isn't your typical 350 sbc. For around $1000 (turbo, injectors, fuel pump etc) + slicks and race gas, you can be in the 11s.