Thinking about a fiberglass hood, any help would be appreciated

gn.87

Time Capsule
Thinking about a fiberglass hood, any info would be appreciated. Anyone with the hood that Hartline sells? I think it is a Kenen hood. How many pounds doe it shed from stock? I would like as much info as possible before I order it. I do not want to waist my money on crap.

Thanks.

Call Hartline performance for any info best fiberglass hood out there imo

I've seen them in person and their really nice. shipping is quite a bit if ur not picking it up tho

I have one, and I have to say, it fits almost like factory, but it has a little less curve then the tops of my fenders. My old GN had the older version Kirban used to sell, and this one looks and fits much better.

I have no idea how much lighter, though.

One of my buddies has a kirban one.It fooled me i thought it was a stock one.Quality is good and he uses the stock hood latch on it.Im definately buying one when i finish my new motor build.

One of my buddies has a kirban one.It fooled me i thought it was a stock one.Quality is good and he uses the stock hood latch on it.Im definately buying one when i finish my new motor build.
I also had one of the early ones Kirban was selling back in the 90's. At the time, he was about the only one selling them so if you wanted a fiberglass hood, you had no other choice. But over the years more manufacturers (VFN, Glasstek, Harwood, Unlimited, etc…) began making some. After several years, mine began to crack above the turbo and it warped because of the hood struts being too stiff so I sold it and bought a nice used one from Cotton's, not sure what make it is but according to Jack it was made by Token fiberglass and it weighs 28 pounds. Unfortunately, I think they're now out of business… :( As for Hartline's hood, I was told that it's the nicest looking but too heavy but haven't verified this myself…

Claude. :)

Last edited:
Check Tamraz on E-bay, they sell only glasstek stuff and I have never been unhappy with them, other than That I have one of Hartlines by Kanen and yes it is nice too. Don't go thru Glasstek direct you save money with the distributor

Thanks for all the reply's. I will most likely go with the Hartline one through Kanen. I can pick it up as it is not that far from me (2 hours) My next question is where to get the new hood spring. I was told we cant use the stock one as it is too long and it cant be cut due to obvious reasons.

its not the length, its he tension, do you have an old worm out set of struts ? They should work, also Kirban used to sell a set as I recall

A starter solenoid spring works great. I've also used a spring from ace hardware