Think I need to own an auto repair biz!!!

DaJoker

DUMB QUESTION MEMBER
Took the TA to a "reputable" shop in New Orleans for struts shocks and 4 wheel brake job. The struts and shocks labor was under $300 no big deal...but for the brakes (did need 2 front rotors) I was quoted a price of $780 for the front and $230 for the rear:mad: !!! $1000 for a f'ing brake job??? Auto Zone has the parts for less than half that and thats replacing the back rotors as well!!! Is that a good deal???:rolleyes:

Great - that's what I have to look forward to when I do my brakes...? Lovely. I guess I'll be finding out how sucky I am at doing brakes pretty soon.

haha brakes are easy on these cars, but it's a pain in the ass to get the front calipers off. When I went to take mine off the mounting bolts are lock-tited on so you have to turn the wheel and use a big breaker bar out the side but there's only two bolts on each side. The front rotors I think are like $140 for a pair and the rears are like $80 I think. They might be a little less, it's really not that difficult just follow the manual and do one side at a time so that if everything just falls apart like when you pull the pads out you can look at the other side and see how to put it back together.

yep - i've heard of that for normal cars... $1000 brake jobs. my buddy just got quoted $1100 for shocks and stuff on his mini van.

another reason to do things yourself if possible ;)

Don't worry I've got 3 friends lined up to help and with the money I save....there will be a BIG PARTY for us after!!!:cool:

My dd is a little turbo PT Cruiser. The water pump seemed to be squeaking and it looked like a real bear to get in there to fix it. Anyway I called the dealer. They informed me that it was a 12 hour job and would cost $1900.00.

My dd is a little turbo PT Cruiser. The water pump seemed to be squeaking and it looked like a real bear to get in there to fix it. Anyway I called the dealer. They informed me that I should also replace the belts and the timing belt. They said it was a 12 hour job and would cost $1900.00.

Well I drove an 86 GT for 20yrs and had minimal problems so I guess I'm new to repair quotes. But after having the Pontiac for two years I'm getting pretty familiar now!!!:redface: But hey its only money and you can't take it with you.:cool:

Blew a HG on Friday- Started tearing it apart early Saturday evening after getting the parts together, and drove to work on Tuesday.

About $200 in parts (Hg x2, intake & exhaust set, oil pan set, oil, brake clean, etc) and about 16 lazy hours- I can tell ya I would have shelled out about $1500 for that repair job- and it would have taken 2 weeks:eek:

Get greasy & save the cash- the biggest pain will probably be the rear calipers. Otherwise, it's just a brake job.....