Think I may have fractured a flexplate....

dgreene

Broke as hell.........
Well, after all these years I think I may have wounded one of my GN's. Tonight after a round of upgrades and replacemnet parts, I took my hardtop car for a spin. After some light cruising and part throttle runs to get it learned in and watch all the vitals I decided to see what the old bird had in her. All looked good....but after some WOT blast(little to no knock) I ruturned home only to hear some pecking. I thought, of sh*t, blew this one. Well, turns out the pecking is coming from the inside of the flexplate cover. When you shut it down it does the "normal" cracked felxplate clank-clank too. Runs and idles to smooth with no knock to be engine internals, just the noise from inside the flexplate. Since it would have done it on the last pull and ran fine all the way home and didn't make the noise till it got down to idle(with good oil presure) I think it's just the plate......

Didn't have time to check it out tonight, but first thing in the morning, I'll have the cover pulled and checked to see what's up.:eek:

it happened on my gmc jimmy. the crack connected the flexplate boltholes and broke when i got off the hiway.

Bryan got it!! Bolts had came loose a little. Not next time though.....loctite will see to that.:D

Good deal, my TTA used to do it all the time, red locktite never seemed to help much.
you might try cleaning the bolts with a wire wheel and then using thread sealer, that might do the trick
BW

I actually used some blue loctite. Maybe that will do it....of course they have been on there for about 10 years so maybe they will last that long again.