Things to look for when buying a stage 2???

TurboGN4life

I just bought an 87 near stock, but now a friend of mine is selling his stage 2 86 GN and it has quite a bit of work including the transmission. I'm most likely buying the car since he is going to give it to me for what I consider a great price. Is there certain things I should watch out for to avoid unforeseen major costs?

If it is running, he has worked the major bugs out. If it runs via an XFI setup you're even further ahead in the tuning dept. I am assuming production style heads instead of stage 2's. Stage 2 are huge hp potentials over stock.

If it is running, he has worked the major bugs out. If it runs via an XFI setup you're even further ahead in the tuning dept. I am assuming production style heads instead of stage 2's. Stage 2 are huge hp potentials over stock.

I'm going to find out more details. He has put quite a bit of money into it. I'm new to the GN world. What is XFI?

When you look it over, take someone that knows these cars, engines, with you.
LOTS of things to look at, especially, w/ a stage 2.
Do you have a list of what is supposedly done to the car? If not, that's where I'd start.

Seems like you have got a tremendous learning curve ahead of you.... If he or she is a friend, then they should tell you the pitfalls of the purchase...especially depending on how the car is built...having a s2 doesn't necessarily tell us anything, but we assume the engine is built to handle power...

I know at least 3 guys whose car hobbies were ruined buy a stage 2 being well over their heads, patience and budget...

A mildly built stage II with stock type heads could very well be built similar to any stock block car but at an easier to achieve power level due to engine size. I've seen a handful in the past built with a stock computer that was just fine at a mild power level to keep a novice happy.

If everything is there to the expectation of your power level - whatever that is..then you're fine, if not, then be prepared to make changes.

Stage cars are great but be prepared to dig deep into the wallet. These cars are maintenance intensive and the Stage stuff kicks it up a notch. I bought a low mile and rare option delete 87 stage GN last year for a great upfront price...but that was only 2/3's of the true price and I'm still spending and its not done...but that's part of the hobby and fun...keep patience and perspective in mind and go for it. True turn-key cars seldom exist.

I dont understand how a stage 2 adds to maintenance and expense. You can build a stage 2 block like a 109 block. It doesnt have to be 1500hp. It is just a chunk of iron, just a better chunk of iron than a 109. Most of the parts on my on center stage 2 were on my old 109 stroker.

The very first question I would have is "WHO BUILT THE MOTOR?"

Get that answer first. Then let us know.

I dont understand how a stage 2 adds to maintenance and expense. You can build a stage 2 block like a 109 block. It doesnt have to be 1500hp. It is just a chunk of iron, just a better chunk of iron than a 109. Most of the parts on my on center stage 2 were on my old 109 stroker.

I would agree to an extent but also look at it from this point of view, some of us are unwilling to put a $500 Chinese crank in an irreplaceable Stage block and especially one that had never been hurt. I took the path of spending $2700 on a billet Crower crank just for the piece of mind. So from that standpoint the initial cost is higher. As far as maintenance I cant see why there would be a difference.
AG.

I understand harder running stuff that is kept in top running condition, where the average owner is just going to drive the piss out of it. I built a stage 2 with a chinese crank and molnar rods. It will be able to run high 8s, but the owner just wanted to run in the 9s without having to worry about head sealing, and all of the other weak areas of the 109 block.

My first off center with stage 2 heads is still going strong after 20 + years. The only change over the years has been playing with different cams and sending off the Jesel rockers for new bearings after one failed. It's not spectacular but I bet that motor has 38,000 miles on it. It was built by a guy that builds dirt track motors.

Has anyone actually tested the Chinese Cranks? I hear a lot about at a point you should go with a Crower or a 3k Crank what ever the Brand may be. Just Curious if this statement has Been Proven?

Yes, I know Several that Have Been 8's. I Guess I was looking for some data that proves that the cranks made here in the states are that much stronger.

I have Chinese in My Car. Looking for 8.50's Next Year. I Guess I Should open my Fortune Cookie before I turn it up....

I think what it boils down to is this........

A lot (or most) S2 engines are built very different from a standard well built stock block. Especially the on-center blocks. I know mine is! Let's assume this one is too.

So, if this guy (TurboGN4life) is about to acquire this vehicle, he should know what he is getting into. If I sold my Buick to an average stock block street guy, and he did't know much about it, he would be F*CKED!

That's why he needs to find out who built it and what it's got in it. And lets not forget the rest of the car. There is so much that needs to be learned before the average guy gets into this stuff. We forget, it seems natural for most of us. It's a part of our lifestyle. (At least for me it is). Not to most others. I have had many experienced mechanics come up to me and ask me questions about turbos, engine management, and the best one "Where do you guys get this stuff?!!

Lets be honest. If you have a girlfriend, family, job, or just a busy life, it could take years to acquire the general knowledge to own and maintain a Buick with a bad-ass stage motor under the hood. It will also be important to build bonds and form relationships with vendors, tuners, and mechanics.

Some guys want to get into there car and drive it. When it breaks, they want to drop it off at a mechanic and have him fix it. Guess what....I don't blame them. But you can't ever do that with a Stage Motor.

You hit the nail on the head, you either need to have the knowledge or know someone local that does!

I just don't think we know enough to scare the OP. I am one of a few that don't agree with the automatic assumption that this is too complicated and more maintenance than a stock GN. It all goes back to how the stage II motor was built and the context of the rest of the car. Heads, cam/valvetrain, engine mgmt or not and the rest of the car supporting whatever that is...

Many of us jumped into the idea that this is a 8 second capable stage car he's looking at. The only additional complications are anything different than a stock engine build. - and a stage II engine can effectively be built with the vast majority of parts from a stock engine.. Even an on-center motor with an cut intake.

Yes, I know Several that Have Been 8's. I Guess I was looking for some data that proves that the cranks made here in the states are that much stronger.
Several have been 8's and several have been broke. Just need to decide if your a gambling man.
AG.