Things to look for when buying a GN..

deanh8

Thinking about picking up a GN.

Anyone know what to look for, or things to check out when getting ready to buy.

Also, what are some good things to do with a older car 70k+ miles? I hear its good to replace the turbo (with a bigger one :cool: ).. anyone know a good site to get parts/mods for Turbo buicks?

Start with gnttype.org all kinds of stuff there you need to know, including a small buyers guide. Read-Read-Read !!! OH...and welcome to the board !!

deanh8 said:
I hear its good to replace the turbo (with a bigger one :cool: ).. anyone know a good site to get parts/mods for Turbo buicks?
No need to replace the turbo unless it's broke, or you have the car tuned correctly and want to go faster. Adding a bigger turbo to a car that already has other issues is asking for trouble, it needs to be in a correct state of tune before doing any mods. You can run low 12's with a stock turbo, some have made it to the 11's.
As for parts/mods, just check the sponsors list of this board, they should have just about any parts you need. Recommended first thing to get is a scan tool, and take lots of time to get to know how to use it and how to tune, it will save you lots of time and $$ in the long run.

And BTW, 70k miles is just getting broke in, check out the miles on these stockers http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160800

this is the one I was looking at. Getting it painted isn't a problem..

1987 Buick Grand National (trades welcome)great investment

---------------------------------
This car runs great and just needs a paint job, all the hard labor of prepping the car has been done.The first Person with $6k gets an all original clean title 1987 BUICK GRAND NATIONAL. 3.8 LITRE TURBOCHARGED. 40K ON REBUILD. 200R4 TRANSMISSION. POSI REAR END. EVERYTHING BONE STOCK. NO MODIFICATIONS. CLEAN TITLE. CLEAN INTERIOR. CAR HAS BEEN PROFESSIONALLY PREPPED AT A BODY SHOP AND IS IN ITS FINAL STAGE FOR WET SANDING. ALL IT NEEDS IS A PAINT JOB AND IT WILL BE STUNNING. THIS WAS THE FASTEST CAR PRODUCED IN 87. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED PLEASE EMAIL ME