Thermostat or no thermostat.

sabersaw30

Is anybody running with no stat?Just curious if it would be good or bad to run with out one?I have a front mount and want to be as cool as possible.

Thermostat Usage

Hi,

After many years of reading as well as a year in Auto Mechanic's School, I can't think of any reason to run without a thermostat.

Dave

X2 We tune our cars to run on the temperature that our thermostat keeps the engine. Without one the engine temp will rise or lower more according to the outside temperature which in turn will keep you constantly tuning. I have heard of pulling a thermostat before and the water pump actually circulating the water to fast and not give the radiator sufficient time to cool the water down. Just my 2 cents.;)

Bad idea!!! A cooling system is designed with a thermostat for a reason. Listen to MOOSE he is on the right track.

I have heard of pulling a thermostat before and the water pump actually circulating the water to fast and not give the radiator sufficient time to cool the water down. Just my 2 cents.;)[/QUOTE]

+1

x3 moose is correct i have worked in family owned radiator shop all my life.just like a radiator needing to be rodout (cleaned inside)you will look in the fillerneck with car running and coolant is curculating very fast the fan doesnt have time to cool it down.imagine taking a garden hose and pinching it off then the water travels faster but less volume.even the old roundtrackers would put a washer in the thermostat housing to slow it down enough for the fan to do its job:) put an aftermarket camaro radiator in it will cool more efficiant than stock copper brass ive found a big 2"thick plstic aluminum replacement but havent tried fitting it yet.mike

x3 moose is correct i have worked in family owned radiator shop all my life.just like a radiator needing to be rodout (cleaned inside)you will look in the fillerneck with car running and coolant is curculating very fast the fan doesnt have time to cool it down.imagine taking a garden hose and pinching it off then the water travels faster but less volume.even the old roundtrackers would put a washer in the thermostat housing to slow it down enough for the fan to do its job:) put an aftermarket camaro radiator in it will cool more efficiant than stock copper brass ive found a big 2"thick plstic aluminum replacement but havent tried fitting it yet.mike
Good explain. Thanx for the replies.I am keeping the thermo in.

While were on the subject of thermostats, how often does it need to be replaced? Mine's about 9 years old and am wondering how responsive it is now. My temps seem to be fluctuating more now. Are the 160* ones available at the parts store? I don't remember where I got this one.

While were on the subject of thermostats, how often does it need to be replaced? Mine's about 9 years old and am wondering how responsive it is now. My temps seem to be fluctuating more now. Are the 160* ones available at the parts store? I don't remember where I got this one.

fluctuating temps manly caused by low coolant, stopped up radiator, or parcially sticking thermostat and that would be first place i would start i think most vendors here sell them dont buy cheap one there is a big difference in quality.mike

no thermostat

i don't run a thermostat and i stay around 165-170 but i am running Evans coolant.................Bob

Doe's your heater work ok in the winter?

I run without one. Without one, the coolant continouslu circulates at one constant temp.

As far as tuning goes, the engine temp changes no matter what, that's why there is tables to trim for coolant and air temps.

Lastly, I'm not concerned with heat in the winter as I don't drive mine in the winter.

I run without one. Without one, the coolant continouslu circulates at one constant temp.

As far as tuning goes, the engine temp changes no matter what, that's why there is tables to trim for coolant and air temps.

Lastly, I'm not concerned with heat in the winter as I don't drive mine in the winter.

do you have stockish cooling system (rad fans ect)because most mid 70s and later cars will run hotter without stat now every car is different but general rule they will run hotter because just look at your old muscle cars big 4row radiators verses late model little 1" aluminum your fan is doing all the work and if its going through the radiator too fast it cant cool it.mike

I have heard of pulling a thermostat before and the water pump actually circulating the water to fast and not give the radiator sufficient time to cool the water down. Just my 2 cents.;)

According to that logic, running a faster radiator fan and moving the air too fast will not give the air molecules sufficient time to cool the radiator down. Heat removal is proportional to mass flow. Faster flow is equal to more heat removal. That's why they make high flow water pumps. With that being said though, the thermostat is used to regulate the water temp at an optimal temperature.

Use the t-stat. If you're trying to run without one you either don't understand how your cooling system works or you're trying to band-aid an overloaded cooling system.

i don't run a thermostat and i stay around 165-170 but i am running Evans coolant.................Bob

I have never heard of Evans coolant? Doe's it drop temperature's quite a bit over regular antifreeze in a cooling system?