The Wife's 85 T

These are pics of the wife's 85 T-Type. She and I knew nothing about turbo Regals.
We bought it new. She picked it because of the way it looked.
The salesman showed us one, burgundy on burgundy and we test drove it. After,
he asked me what will make you close the deal? I told him to talk to the wife,
it's going to be her car. She indicated she didn't like the color so he called on the phone
to bring out a white one. That was it, she was sold. She has been the primary driver of this car and we
used it as the family with kids, vehicle for many years. I didn't give the performance too much thought.
I just thought it was nice to have some punch yet get good gas mileage. Then one night, we were driving
along, me riding shotgun as usual in her car. This 66 SS 396 pulls up along side and starts revving his motor.
I don't know what he wants so after awhile, I just flip him the bird and try to ignore him. But he won't go away. So we catch a light and he wants me to roll down the window so I did. He asks to race. I asked the wife if she wants to and she says no. So I tell him and gets all pissed off. When the light turns green he gets on it and damn near hits a kid on a bike. What an ass. Anyway, I thought it's a little six why did he want us to race? One day I was talking to my nephew and he told me that these turbo Regals have a reputation of being fast. He tells me how to torque brake it to spool up the turbo. So one day I tried it,, cool! Wheres that damn SS396, bring em on!
Anyway, thus began our appreciation of the turbo Regal. We realized that we had something special and so we have no plans to get rid of her.
When she was about 7 years old hers doors rusted through on the bottom. I tried the patch of the lower skin but that didn't work out too well. I found some rust free doors and those are now on the car. It my own work of transfering all the hardware and even painting them including pinstripes. There have been a few more small rust holes that have been patched and will need some attention soon but she is still a solid car.
The rest of her including the engine and trans are stock, 95% original. She is on her second set of brakes and tires. The drivers seat is scheduled to be repaired, I'm waiting for a shipment of material for that and the headliner. The Achilles heel of the car are the rear frame sections behind the wheels. I guess that spray coming off the rear tires eats the heck out of the metal. I plan to patch in some rust free units I got many years ago from an Arizona JY. I have a special trick up my sleeve to match where I make my cut so that the replacements will line up. I plan to take some pics as I go along and I will post those when I get done.
I was recently laid off so I now have time to get to all the things I have been putting off while I look for another job. Yesterday I finally installed upgrade speakers in the dash that I bought so many years ago because the originals have no treble. The upgrade speakers were made in the USA, that is how long ago I bought them. She has been garage kept which prevents the sun damage I see on a lot of cars.
So here are my pics of the wife's car. BTW she has 142,500 on her.

Attachments

• HPIM0507.JPG
    HPIM0507.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 131
  • HPIM0508.JPG
    HPIM0508.JPG
    377.1 KB · Views: 118
  • HPIM0511.JPG
    HPIM0511.JPG
    292.6 KB · Views: 136
  • HPIM0513.JPG
    HPIM0513.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 126
  • HPIM0517.JPG
    HPIM0517.JPG
    278.9 KB · Views: 121
  • HPIM0519.JPG
    HPIM0519.JPG
    328.3 KB · Views: 124
  • HPIM0520.JPG
    HPIM0520.JPG
    391.7 KB · Views: 129
  • HPIM0522.JPG
    HPIM0522.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 115
  • HPIM0523.JPG
    HPIM0523.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 117
  • HPIM0599.JPG
    HPIM0599.JPG
    350.3 KB · Views: 118
These are the frame sections that are needing replacement.

Attachments

• HPIM0524.JPG
    HPIM0524.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 97
  • HPIM0525.JPG
    HPIM0525.JPG
    330.2 KB · Views: 106
  • HPIM0527.JPG
    HPIM0527.JPG
    316.3 KB · Views: 81
wow thats pretty rusted, when i got mine the guy kept stressing how clean the frame was i never really cared i guess some really get hit

car is clean though i wish mine was red interior