The dreaded CA insurance question

KenB 87 TT

Tiny bit long. Sorry.

OK, who do you guys insure your Buick and other cars with, and if you don't mind, how much?

I talked with State Farm this morning, (Based on Search results) but as a whole not impressed.

Re the Buick
Was quoted $372/ 6mos on the Buick with multi car multi line yada yada. Std 100/300/100 coverage.
Maybe not so bad, but State Farm won't do Stated Value unless car is pre-1971. So how am I to know what they'll say its worth in worst case? Telling me they look at local sources... right, so many WE4 change hands in the LA basin that establishing value is easy.

FYI 35 y.o.; married; 1 tix (1 pt speed, in my truck no less, SOB small town Ohio speed trap; first in 17 years, but do they care 'bout total history, no, only when more blood can be squeezed).

I'll have to check the specialty comps (JC Taylor[?], et al) but was looking for real world input.

Other cars, they hate me for that tix. $741/6 mos on an 97 Camry V6, and $618/ 6mos on a 2000 Tundra Ltd (wifes). I know, could be worse, but thats double mid-western rates.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

PS yeah I still need to take some people up on offers of advice for the Buick, but can't up the priority with so many other things on the "honey do"

Mercury Insurance Co thru AIS.
PL & PD only on daily driver '87 turbo-t
full coverage on '02 vette Z06 occasional driver
about $ 625 every 6 months
been with Mercury & AIS for about 12 years, give or take

I just got my bill in the mail. I'm insured with Allstate. For full coverage with a $500 collision deductible my rate is $343.10 for 6 months on the GN. As previously mentioned the only problem is what kind of hassles will ensue if the car is stolen or damaged. If my car got stolen I could just see the insurance company trying to tell me my car was worth 5 grand. :rolleyes: When I inquired about what would happen if the car was stolen the insurance company said all I would have to do is show proof of what other cars of the same year, model, and condition were selling for in order to get the full value of the car. Yeah right, they say that now but wait until something actually happens. :rolleyes:

After my car comes back from the paint shop I'm going to look into some kind of stated value policy, even if it costs more. I've got too much money in the car now to get cheated by the insurance company if something happened to the car.

Before I destroyed this last engine, I was planning on getting my car professionally appraised. State Farm told me they would file it and then use that amount in the event of an accident/stolen/etc. You might want to re-check with them.
I have the car listed with them as "driven 7,500 miles or less per year" (only weekends, non-daily driver), and it's $270/6 mos (approximately). If I included my accident free, etc. it would actually be less.