The dog ate my rain gauge!

S10xGN

RETIRED!
Yesterday evening, our dog came in with bloody paws. Seems the squirrels knocked my (glass) rain gauge off the fence post so she decided to see how it tasted. It had a laminated clear overlay on it that somewhat held it together, but she chewed it enough to break it, cut her mouth, and bleed all over her front feet. All I could find online was to have her eat some cotton balls which supposedly binds up any glass and makes it easier to pass. This dog'll eat anything that fits in her mouth!
100_2419s.jpg

My dog would sneak into my shower and stand on his hind legs so he could get at my disposable razors. He'd take them downstairs and chew them to pieces. No blood unless he was swallowing it each time he chewed the razors. I wouldn't stuff my dog with cotton balls. Instead, I'd wait to see if there were any signs of internal/stomach bleeding. If you don't see blood in the stool and the dog continues to eat and drink as normal, I wouldn't worry. The cotton ball thing sounds like it could bind the dog's internals and cause serious problems where one might not have existed before. You could always run to the vet for an x-ray. Just my rambling dog-related thoughts. Good luck to you and the pooch.

LOL Sounds like Baby girl to me. She gets pissed when she's locked in the bedroom and will attack different things. I had to buy a new phone and alarm clock because she got pissed that I wasn't with her.o_O She is very defensive of me but hates to be away from me so I do the best I can to keep her out of trouble. The other night she and Red were barking for quite some time and after going out twice with a flashlight I finally saw the cotton mouth that was trying to get into their pen. It's dead and my dogs are fine so I'm happy with the outcome.;)

So when one of my Brittany's ate a tack once I rushed him to the vet. And all they did is give him 1 cc of hydrogen peroxide in his mouth and then another 5 minutes later when the first didn't work. And UP came the tack

My dog would sneak into my shower and stand on his hind legs so he could get at my disposable razors. He'd take them downstairs and chew them to pieces. No blood unless he was swallowing it each time he chewed the razors. I wouldn't stuff my dog with cotton balls. Instead, I'd wait to see if there were any signs of internal/stomach bleeding. If you don't see blood in the stool and the dog continues to eat and drink as normal, I wouldn't worry. The cotton ball thing sounds like it could bind the dog's internals and cause serious problems where one might not have existed before. You could always run to the vet for an x-ray. Just my rambling dog-related thoughts. Good luck to you and the pooch.

Here's a link to the cotton ball advice: http://www.bigdogsporch.com/652-what-do-if-your-dog-eats-glass-other-sharpy.html

LOL Sounds like Baby girl to me. She gets pissed when she's locked in the bedroom and will attack different things. I had to buy a new phone and alarm clock because she got pissed that I wasn't with her.o_O She is very defensive of me but hates to be away from me so I do the best I can to keep her out of trouble. The other night she and Red were barking for quite some time and after going out twice with a flashlight I finally saw the cotton mouth that was trying to get into their pen. It's dead and my dogs are fine so I'm happy with the outcome.;)

All of our dogs have gotten pi$$y when we left them alone, guess that's the sign of a "house dog"... Right now this one's on a pillow binge, or rather, anything with foam in it. She's destroyed her bedding and some of the wife's living room pillows.

Russ, how has the dog been after a few days?
Don't let her eat up too much of those pillow stuffing and things, my cousins dog dog from eating too much of that foam stuff, got all clogged up in her, had another die from eating a bunch of paper towels and it was a pretty big mix breed dog of about 40 lbs.
Our dog destroys stuffed animals and such in seconds, anything with stuffing in them so the first thing we do is cut them open and strip the stuffing out and give her the skin basically to play with.
Beautiful dog btw!

Russ, how has the dog been after a few days?
Don't let her eat up too much of those pillow stuffing and things, my cousins dog dog from eating too much of that foam stuff, got all clogged up in her, had another die from eating a bunch of paper towels and it was a pretty big mix breed dog of about 40 lbs.
Our dog destroys stuffed animals and such in seconds, anything with stuffing in them so the first thing we do is cut them open and strip the stuffing out and give her the skin basically to play with.
Beautiful dog btw!

Rob,

She's been absolutely 100% normal. We were sweating bullets that first night, but I guess she didn't ingest enough glass bits to cause any harm. Thanks for your concern (and compliment), she's an Australian mini but still tops out at over 30#. When she eats the stuffing, her poops look like dandelion fluff, and when her "cousin" (our son's Corgi) visits, she teaches her to eat the squeakers out of toys. Bad dog!

Like Amiga said. Just a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide it'll induce vomiting. Give it 5 minutes, if it doesn't work give another teaspoon. You don't even wanna know some of the stuff my dogs ate that came out one end or another.

Rob,

She's been absolutely 100% normal. We were sweating bullets that first night, but I guess she didn't ingest enough glass bits to cause any harm. Thanks for your concern (and compliment), she's an Australian mini but still tops out at over 30#. When she eats the stuffing, her poops look like dandelion fluff, and when her "cousin" (our son's Corgi) visits, she teaches her to eat the squeakers out of toys. Bad dog!
Good deal! One of our friends has an Austrialian mini but is marked much differently, mostly just black and white. My son-in-law just bought a full size version puppy, I guess we will see it when we visit at the end of the HRPT next month.