The car broke!! Please HELP!!!

Brutal87

More Money Than Brains
Well I was driving the car for a little while today & everything was fine.. Until!!! Going down the road at about 45ish.. I gunned it to get around a car & the car started acting up. I pulled over because I smelled oil & saw smoke under the hood. I spewed oil out of my valve cover breathers. Now it's acting as if a plug is fouled. It will start & run but stumbles real bad. I pulled off a couple plugs to check them out. No oil but very burnt. BTW.. No check Engine light, The oil pressure is good. HELP!! I was going to start by changing the plugs & wires. (I broke a damn wire pulling it off.. )

What plugs & wires do you recommend? Also I'll need new breathers.. Where can I get them?

Do you think the tune-up will solve the problem or is it more serious? (God I hope not!!)

Thanks

Edit.. It's an '87 GN...
Carl

oil coming from the breathers may be serious. Do a compression test. Make sure all cylinders are within 5-10 lbs of each other. Intake gaskets can cause pressure inside the motor. Check the coolant and oil for mixing. Any smoke from tailpipes?

Do a compression check. You may have blown a head gasket into the valley side and the pressure caused the oil to spew out - at least that's what happend to me. :frown:

Ok I have come to a conclusion. I'm not even going to bother with the compression test. The end result is.. The heads need to come off to check the damage. Sooo.. I'm looking to buy a new set of complete heads (street/strip, can some point me in the right direction?). Over the Winter I will pull the heads off & if the pistons are good... install the new heads & reassemble. If not.. Well I guess I'll just pull the motor. I want to thank you for the help.. I'll be posting questions as I go. BTW.. Is there a book I can buy that pertains to the Turbo V6's. I have some learnin' to do.

Thanks
Carl

Brutal87 said:
Ok I have come to a conclusion. I'm not even going to bother with the compression test. The end result is.. The heads need to come off to check the damage. Sooo.. I'm looking to buy a new set of complete heads (street/strip, can some point me in the right direction?). Over the Winter I will pull the heads off & if the pistons are good... install the new heads & reassemble. If not.. Well I guess I'll just pull the motor. I want to thank you for the help.. I'll be posting questions as I go. BTW.. Is there a book I can buy that pertains to the Turbo V6's. I have some learnin' to do.

Thanks
Carl

Im going to give some advice from experance working on these cars for 5-6 years. Pull the motor now and save your self the trouble of tearing it all apart in the car. I can do headgaskets in a hour shorter then if I pull it because I dont have to bend over the car as much and f' your back up :mad: :biggrin: plus depending on the miles it couldnt hurt to do the timming chain, rear main seal, ect

just my worthless 2 cents :p

ttypewe4jim said:
Im going to give some advice from experance working on these cars for 5-6 years. Pull the motor now and save your self the trouble of tearing it all apart in the car. I can do headgaskets in a hour shorter then if I pull it because I dont have to bend over the car as much and f' your back up :mad: :biggrin: plus depending on the miles it couldnt hurt to do the timming chain, rear main seal, ect

just my worthless 2 cents :p

Heres the rundown of what the car has.. All work was done before I bought the car.

Short Block:
Stock Buick 3.8L SFI Turbo (40K mile GM crate engine)
Stock camshaft, lifters, and timing chain
High-volume high-pressure oil pump

Heads:
Stock port matched
1.77” 1.50” SS Manley valves
Crower 80lb valve springs
Stock head gaskets with TTY bolts

Intake:
Stock lower
Stock ported 62mm throttle body
Stock ported upper intake and with EGR tower removed
Throttle body coolant lines blocked

Induction system:
TE-51 turbo w/.63 PTE exhaust and polished compressor housing
Charged Air Systems V4 stretch stock location intercooler
High Boost Adjustable waste gate actuator
3" BGC chrome MAF pipe
LS1 3.5" MAF Sensor with Translator
9” K&N with 3.5" inlet air filter
K&N valve cover breathers
Chrome up-pipe with sneeze valve
Chrome turbo cover
ATR Cyclops air dam

Fuel system:
Walbro GSS 340m in tank fuel pump
Casper Electronics fuel pump hot wire
Accufab billet aluminum fuel pressure regulator
MSD 50lb fuel injectors
SMC Enterprises dual nozzle alcohol injection

Ignition system:
Stock DIS
8mm Accel plug wires
AC CR-43TS spark plugs gapped 0.035”

Exhaust system:
Stock ceramic-coated headers
Terry Houston 3” down pipe
3” test pipe with dump tube
ATR Stainless Steel 2 ½” dual exhaust
ATR 2 ½” aluminized Pit Bull Mufflers

Cooling system:
Stock radiator
Stock cooling fan with resistor by-passed
160 thermostat
B&M transmission cooler

Transmission:
BRF TH200R-4
Stock D5 torque converter
Hardened stator
Stock clutches with extra clutch
B&M Transpak

Suspension:
Stock 8.5 w/3.42 gears rear end
Air bags in rear coils
ATR Pinion snubber
Poly front sway bar bushings and end links
Stock GN wheels
235/60/15 BFG radial T/A

Body:
Energy Suspension poly body bushings
GM Front frame braces
BGC Rear seat braces
Jay’s GN Front fender braces

Engine Management:
Stock ECM
BstC Boost Command in-car boost controller
Extender Chip

Tuning and monitoring equipment:
Scanmaster II scan tool
Sun mini tach
VDO 30lb boost gauge
VDO oil pressure gauge
VDO temperature gauge
VDO voltage gauge

Thank for all the advice guys.. :
---------------------------------------------

I've been so busy finishing my Mustang, I haven't had time to look at the GN until today..
100_1720.jpg

So I drained the oil. No water in it at all.. Could it be a ring?? I plan on doing the compression test in the morn. If it is a ring.. Why didn't it blow smoke out of the pipes while driving it home on the highway?? I only pulled 2 plugs (the night it happened) & they were just crappy/dirty. I'm going to check the all tomorrow just to make sure ones not fouled. (wishful thinking) If the head gasket was blown & I lost on coolant.. It would of had to blown between the cylinders & not the coolant passages.... right?

Hum

i'm watching your page here man, I had some oil blow out of the breather of the pass. side cover, but its not really a true breather, it is where the hose use to go to the turbo. I got on it, and oil came out a little, but the car is still running fine, I put a new top end on it 1k or so miles ago, arp studs, felpro's new cam, lifters, springs etc., the oil came out after I put on a modified stock intercooler with the dutt. neck, but like I said, still runs great? :confused: I thought it was the oil return line gasket, might have been, I tightened it up, got on it again, seems just a tiny bit came out that time, the manifold gaskets are new also, of course, and I'm good at getting the heads and manifold seal'd good, but not too good at the oil pan gasket :D check you later.