THDP Leak

Morden

This is what I found today looking at the car.
This is where the downpipe hooks to the turbo.

My Questions are...
Could this make a ticking/tapping sound?
What other problems can it cause?
What can I do to fix it?
Also what should the bolts be torqued to that hold it to the turbo?

Thanks for the Help.

Attachments

• IMG_0738.jpg
    IMG_0738.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 192
They can make a ticking sound, nothing in the pic. seems to leak that much that it would make a sound however.

Other problem could be soot on the front parts, mine used to drop/drip onto the oil filter.

Simple fix could be a skim coat of copper RTV or a gasket sold for that pipe by several vendors including Special Additions, search for them or THDP gasket and you should find some info.

I wouldn't go over 15ft. pounds on them, a search might find the exact torque spec., and I would use neverseize on them first so take them out one by one and make sure they are cleaned.

get a copper gasket that is made for it. It fixed my leak. It would drip water when first started. I got my gasket from G-Body Parts.

Best thing to do with that is remove the downpipe and hit the flage with a belt sander. Give it a new sealing surface.

Thanks for the replies Guys.
I have also found that all but one of my intake bolts were less than 15ftlb and it was only 20!!!!!!!!!:eek:
So I have torqued them to 32 in order.
I pulled 20 then the 32. I hope it works out?

Now back to the DP -I have a ticking coming from that side ,But if what's in the pic doesn't look like a leak I'll just keep looking.
Well I started the car after all the other work I had done and I saw the water come out of the suspect area.
What tool do I need to remove the DP? I know it's 6mm Hex ,But I don't have anything that will work for the two bottom ones.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 133
Actually in the second pic. it looks like a leak at the bottom where mine leaked.

6mm on a 3/8" drive socket works with the right extensions as should a typical Allen wrench.

I used a composite gasket not copper.

Flattening the surfaces should also work.